Subject: WG Action: Rechartered QUIC (quic)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:47:25 -0700

The QUIC (quic) WG in the Transport Area of the IETF has been rechartered.
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

QUIC (quic)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
  Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
  Matt Joras <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Zaheduzzaman Sarker <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Directors:
  Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
  Zaheduzzaman Sarker <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/quic
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/quic/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/quic/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-quic/

The QUIC WG originated the specifications describing version 1 of QUIC, a
UDP-based, stream-multiplexing, encrypted transport protocol.

The WG acts as the focal point for any QUIC-related work in the IETF. It is
chartered to pursue work in the areas detailed below:

   1. The first area of work is maintenance and evolution of the existing
   QUIC specifications:

         * Maintenance and evolution of the QUIC base specifications that
         describe its invariants, core transport mechanisms, security and
         privacy properties, loss detection and recovery, congestion control,
         version and extension negotiation, etc. This includes the
         specification of new versions of QUIC.

         * Maintenance and evolution of the existing QUIC extensions
         specified by the WG.

      WG adoption of work items falling into this first area of work needs to
      be strongly motivated by existing or ongoing production deployments of
      QUIC at scale, and needs to carefully consider its impact on the
      applications and higher-layer protocols (simply called "application
      protocols" in the rest of this charter) that have adopted QUIC as a
      transport.

   2. The second area of work is supporting the deployability of QUIC, which
   includes specifications and documents such as applicability and
   manageability statements, improved operation with load balancers, the
   specification of a logging format, and more.

   3. The third area of work is the specification of new extensions to QUIC.
   The WG will primarily focus on extensions to the QUIC transport layer,
   i.e., extensions to QUIC that have broad applicability to multiple
   application protocols. The WG may also publish specifications to publicly
   document deployed proprietary extensions or to enable wider
   experimentation with proposed new protocol features.

Specifications describing how new or existing application protocols use the
QUIC transport layer, called application protocol mappings below, need not be
specified in the QUIC WG, although they can. The QUIC WG will collaborate
with other groups that define such application protocols that intend to use
QUIC. New application protocol mappings might require QUIC extensions and it
may be efficient to define these alongside the mapping specifications. Groups
that define application protocols using QUIC, or extensions to QUIC in
support of those protocols, are strongly requested to consult with the QUIC
WG and seek early and ongoing review of and collaboration on proposals. This
is intended to reduce the possibility of duplicate work and/or conflicts with
other extensions.

The QUIC WG originated HTTP/3, the mapping of HTTP to QUIC, and the QPACK
header compression scheme. These specifications are now maintained in the
HTTP WG.

Defining new congestion control schemes is explicitly out of scope for the
WG. However, new QUIC extensions that support development and experimentation
with new congestion control schemes may fall under the third work area.

Milestones:

  May 2021 - QUIC Applicability and Manageability Statement to IESG

  Jun 2021 - Datagram Extension to IESG

  Sep 2021 - Version Negotiation Extension to IESG

  Sep 2021 - QUIC-LB: Generating Routable QUIC Connection IDs to IESG