Subject: QUIC + Noise

From: Dirkjan Ochtman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 13:39:43 +0200

Since another thread (that I don't want to participate in) discussed
ideas about reusing parts of the QUIC specification without relying on
the web PKI, I thought I might mention that we have some experiments
going on in Quinn with using QUIC with the Noise protocol. As far as I
know, this has been discussed before, and there was a prototype
implementation a few years ago [1]. Find out more in the issue
discussion [2] and in the repo for the Noise plugin [3].

If anyone is interested in moving this forward, I'd be happy to
discuss either here (if considered on-topic), in the Quinn Matrix
channel [4] or on Slack.

Kind regards,

Dirkjan

[1] https://github.com/rot256/ninn
[2] https://github.com/quinn-rs/quinn/issues/719
[3] https://github.com/ipfs-rust/quinn-noise
[4] https://matrix.to/#/#quinn:matrix.org

---

From: Robin MARX <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 14:12:35 +0200

The prototype implementation Dirkjan mentions is related to a paper "nQUIC:
Noise-Based QUIC Packet Protection" [1]
that was presented at the EPIQ workshop in 2018, and which includes more
details on this concept.

With best regards,
Robin

[1]: https://eprint.iacr.org/2019/028.pdf

-- 

dr. Robin Marx
Postdoc researcher - Web protocols
Expertise centre for Digital Media

*Cellphone *+32(0)497 72 86 94

www.uhasselt.be
Universiteit Hasselt - Campus Diepenbeek
Agoralaan Gebouw D - B-3590 Diepenbeek
Kantoor EDM-2.05

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 13:30:56 +0100

Hi Dirkjan,

Thanks for sharing this. I was aware of some of the nQUIC work presented
during the EPIQ workshop in 2018 but I'm not sure we've previously
discussed noise on this list. It's interesting to see that some work has
continued in quinn, a summary of the delta's from earlier designs me be
enlightening.

Based on a brief read and my limited understanding of the changes it sounds
like an alternative version. If this is the case, for the purpose of
experimentation and interop it would help to pick a version (or range of
versions) and document them. We're in a slightly awkward place while we
await the formal IANA registries to be created but in the meantime the QUIC
WG wiki has a page where we collect versions on a first come, first served
basis [1].

Cheers
Lucas

P.S. as a reminder: for anyone interested in the quicdev Slack
<https://quicdev.slack.com/> but not a member, please reach out to
[email-masked] for an invitation ,

[1] - https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/wiki/QUIC-Versions