Subject: HTTP/3 upload resume procedure

From: Vladislav Sorkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 18:53:00 -0500

Would someone please take a moment to explain how upload resume (for
interrupted partial uploads) is performed with HTTP/3?

Like how the negotiation between the client and the server looks like and
what the request(s) and response(s) would be like?

I'm trying to understand how it would work under HTTP/3.  Insight is
appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 20:48:41 +0000

Vladislav--

This isn’t really the best forum for this!
Seems like stack overflow or similar would be a better place to ask this question!

Sincerely,
-=R
p.s. HTTP/3 would handle it same as anything since HTTP/1.1 onward.

From: QUIC <[email-masked]> on behalf of Vladislav Sorkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, February 4, 2022 at 3:53 PM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: HTTP/3 upload resume procedure

Would someone please take a moment to explain how upload resume (for interrupted partial uploads) is performed with HTTP/3?

Like how the negotiation between the client and the server looks like and what the request(s) and response(s) would be like?

I'm trying to understand how it would work under HTTP/3.  Insight is appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:58:04 +0000

Hi Vladislav,

To add to what Roberto says, there are at least two approaches that come to
mind. First, use HTTP semantics that are common to all HTTP versions.
There's a bunch of ways that various services (Dropbox, Google, Amazon,
etc) do it, and they have documented that in their API docs. There are also
some approaches like the "tus" protocol[1], which attempt to be vendor
neutral use of HTTP. Second, define a thing running on top of HTTP; that
might rely on something like an HTTP/2 or HTTP/3 extension - perhaps like
WebTransport [2], or perhaps not.

Either way, HTTP and HTTP/3 oriented topics relevant to the IETF are now
best discussed at the HTTP Working Group; see https://httpwg.org/ for more
details. However, often the topic of how to use HTTP is beyond the scope
for IETF discussion. The wider Web community, like Stack Overflow etc, can
be better for covering specific problems or use cases. I understand that
sometimes it's hard to know where to ask, so I hope you get routed to the
place that can best address your question.

Cheers,
Lucas

[1] - https://tus.io/
[2] - https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/webtrans/about/

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 8:49 PM Roberto Peon <fenix=[email-masked]>
wrote:

> *From: *QUIC <[email-masked]> on behalf of Vladislav Sorkin <
> [email-masked]>
> *Date: *Friday, February 4, 2022 at 3:53 PM
> *To: *"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> *Subject: *HTTP/3 upload resume procedure
>
>
>