Subject: Summary of "Last Look" at the RADIUS Design Guidelines document

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:52:56 -0800

On December 4, 2009, a "Last Look" at the RADIUS Design Guidelines document
was announced:

http://ops.ietf.org/lists/radiusext/2009/msg00661.html

While the "last look" was to have concluded on December 18, 2009, vigorous
discussion continued well into January 2010. 

This message represents a summary of the "last look", and a proposal for how
to move forward. 

First of all, examination of the "Last Look" discussion indicates that the
document as it stands does not represent RADEXT WG consensus and therefore
will require changes.  

The major areas of concern include:

1. Treatment of complex attributes.   These concerns were raised in Issue
325 and relate to Section 2.1.3 and portions of Appendix A.  Proposals to
move forward are included in the following messages sent to the list: 

                a. http://ops.ietf.org/lists/radiusext/2010/msg00038.html

                b. http://ops.ietf.org/lists/radiusext/2010/msg00080.html

                c. http://ops.ietf.org/lists/radiusext/2010/msg00107.html

2.  Applicability.  These concerns have been raised in Issue 327, and relate
to multiple sections in the document.  Suggestions on how to move forward
have been made by Dan Romascanu in the following message:
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/radiusext/2010/msg00075.html

It is our hope that discussions on the mailing list will result in proposed
text addressing the concerns within the next week.  

In order to provide a venue for additional discussion, we will be posting a
Doodle poll to determine times for a RADEXT Virtual Interim meeting.