Subject: Re: [radext] #178 (radius-fragmentation): fragments going in both directions - allowed or not?

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 09:03:19 -0000

#178: fragments going in both directions - allowed or not?

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Indeed, pre-authorization phase is intended only to allow the NAS sending
 a large packet to the AS.We don't want the AS to send authorization
 information until authentication has been completed (post-authorization).
 Besides, the fragmentation process should be seen as an atomic process, in
 the sense that when one of the peers is sending fragmented data, the other
 stop any kind of processing until the sender has completed the delivery.
 As you say, it is a half-duplex process.

 I agree a clarification paragraph is required in the introductory text of
 section 4. In particular, it would be placed as the second paragraph of
 that section. Also, a minor change on the third paragraph would be
 required. The final text would be as follows:

         [...]. The chunks are tied together via the State attribute.

     The delivery of a large fragmented RADIUS packet with authorization
 data can happen before or after the end user has been authenticated by the
 AS. We can distinguish two phases:
     1. Pre-authorization. In this phase, the NAS can send a large packet
 with authorization information to the AS before the end user is
 authenticated.
     2. Post-authorization. In this phase, the AS can send a large packet
 with authorization data to the NAS after the end user has been
 authenticated.

     The following subsections describe how to perform fragmentation for
 packets for these two phases, pre-authorization and post-authorization.
     [...]

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:
Component:  radius-fragmentation     |     Version:
 Severity:  Waiting for Shepherd     |  Resolution:
  Writeup                            |
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/178#comment:1>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>