Subject: [radext] Data types document

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:41:41 -0400

I've submitted an updated version of the Data types document:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dekok-radext-datatypes-05

  The main difference is the addition of a CSV table for updating the
IANA RADIUS Attribute Type registry.  The goal is to allow IANA to
simply replace the existing table with the updated one.

  I've reviewed the updates, but they may contain an element of personal
choice.  In some cases, the attributes are clearly labeled "UTF-8 text".
 In others, it's less clear what the "correct" type should be.

  Some questions:

1) are the types correct?

2) The document has an "enum" data type.  It's really "integer',
   but with enumerated values.

   Is this OK?

3) Some standard attributes should be automatically concatenated,
   e.g. EAP-Message, PKM-SS-Cert, and PKM-CA-Cert

  Should these be a separate data type, to highlight the fact that
  they're special?

  If we can get consensus quickly, I think the document should be
publishable very soon.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:43:37 -0400

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan DeKok <[email-masked]> writes:

    Alan> 2) The document has an "enum" data type.  It's really
    Alan> "integer', but with enumerated values.

    Alan>    Is this OK?

Yes.

    Alan> 3) Some standard attributes should be automatically
    Alan> concatenated, e.g. EAP-Message, PKM-SS-Cert, and PKM-CA-Cert

    Alan>   Should these be a separate data type, to highlight the fact
    Alan> that they're special?

I think a special data type for this would be valuable.
It would be helpful to implementations and to standards writers both.