Subject: Re: [radext] #193 (bigger-packets): clarify "endpoint" for coexistence with RADIUS fragmentation

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:04:55 -0400

>>>>> "radext" == radext issue tracker <[email-masked]> writes:

    radext> #193: clarify "endpoint" for coexistence with RADIUS
    radext> fragmentation The notion of an endpoint is introduced. It
    radext> appears to me like the decision to use either bigger-packets
    radext> or RADIUS Fragementation is made on a hop-by-hop basis. Did
    radext> you mean something like "next hop" (as that next hop may be
    radext> an endpoint, or another proxy).  

Corrected to next hop.

    radext> I assume that when deciding
    radext> to use RADIUS Fragmentation for a next hop whose support for
    radext> this specification is not known, the generated request
    radext> packet would still be augmented with a Response-Length
    radext> attribute to learn about the next hop's capabilities? If so,
    radext> can this be made explicit in the text?

How would you imagine that working?\
response-length describes *our capability*; it's only a request for
*their capability* in a status request.

The text already says that proxies who send more than one packet at a
time SHOULD implement discovery.
Any such proxy will know the capabilities of a conforming next hop.