Subject: Re: (radius) Username/User-Password attributes

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 04:17:19 -0800 (PST)

I agree that it makes sense to send the Calling-Station-Id as the
User-Name for NASes that want to send an Access-Request before prompting
the user for their username.

If the password hasn't been received from the user yet, the best thing
for the NAS to do is to use Signature (from the extensions draft),
rather than using a dummy placeholder Password attribute.  Of course,
if they want to use Password instead of Signature, that already works.

 How about a Service-Type = Call-Check (10) available as a hint in the
 Access-Request, used by the NAS to indicate that a call is being
 received and that the RADIUS server should send back an Access-Accept
 (with Service-Type = Call-Check) to answer the call, or an
 Access-Reject to not accept the call, typically based on the
 Called-Station-Id or Calling-Station-Id attributes.  It is recommended
 that such Access-Requests use the value Calling-Station-Id as the
 User-Name.

A further step might be to permit User-Name in Access-Accept so that a
NAS can find out the name of the user dialing in on a given line and
send that along in accounting requests.

--
Carl Rigney
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Aydin Edguer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:59:05 -0500 (EST)

> send that along in accounting requests.

Gee... I thought this was already decided as permitted.  I refer you back
to the archives of the mailing list.

   [ietf-radius.9704]
   Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:50:35 -0800 (PST)
   From: Carl Rigney <cdr>
   Subject: (radius) Agenda for 38th IETF Tue 4/8 15:30-17:30
   ...
       Allowing Usernames in Access-Accepts (for use with Calling-Station-Id)?

   [ietf-radius.9708]
   Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:47:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Carl Rigney <cdr>
   Subject: (radius) 38th IETF RADIUS Working Group Minutes
   ...
   Usernames are now allowed in Access-Accepts, for example in a case
   where the User is identified by their Calling-Station-Id.

-