Subject: (radius) IANA guidance draft

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 04:30:30 -0800 (PST)

As part of the progression of the RADIUS RFC from Proposed to Draft
Standard, I need to write another RFC providing guidelines for the IANA
to know when its OK to hand out an attribute (90 upwards).  I'm
reviewing some examples of such, but if anyone has well-reasoned text
they'd like to contribute to the cause, please feel free to email me.

On a similar note, is there really any reason to reserve attributes
192-254 for experimental and implementation specific use, or should they
be freed up for eventual use?  Or should we keep them reserved for now
and 100 attributes from now it can be done in a revision?

--
Carl Rigney
RADIUS WG Editor
[email-masked]

"Tell everyone you know except John Glenn:
 When John Glenn returns from space, let's all dress in ape suits.
 Pass it on."

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: William Bulley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:19:10 -0500 (EST)

> they'd like to contribute to the cause, please feel free to email me.

I thought ICANN was replacing IANA...

Regards,

web...

-- 
William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: [email-masked]
4251 Plymouth Road, Suite C        Phone: (734) 764-9993
Ann Arbor, Michigan  48105-2785    Fax:   (734) 647-3185

[ Reuters, London, February 29, 1998: Scientists have announced discovering ]
[ a meteorite which will strike the earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX ]
[ coders expressed relief for being spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038. ]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 21:45:06 +0100

>I thought ICANN was replacing IANA...
IANA, which in this case is the registration function for identifiers
in Internet protocols, is a function, which the IAB decides to place
with some agency to execute.

At the moment, the IAB has asked ISI to execute this function.

It's assumed that if everything goes well, the IAB will ask ICANN to
execute this function.

But we're not there yet, by quite a few rows of apple trees.

                  Harald A

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

-