Subject: (radius) Vendor Specific Attributes

From: "Varghese, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:07:41 -0600

I apologize in advance if this is not the right forum to ask this question
...

Our project needs to use attributes that are not defined in the Radius
specification for authentication, and apparantly the correct place for this
is under vendor-specific attributes.

However, I'm confused about *how* to place them here and still conform to
the specification. Namely,

* For vendor-id, the RFC says to have the high-order byte be 0 and the low
order 3 bytes be the SMI code for the vendor. I looked at the Assigned
Numbers RFC, and the code with the highest value is less than 1100. Does
this mean you take the binary of the code value and pad the left with zeros?

*My understanding is that the vendor-id code is used only to make your
product/application be general purpose ... so, if our Radius client/server
is running in a controlled environment, this code is not that important. Is
this correct?

* Surprisingly, I didn't see a code for Lucent Technologies. Did I miss it?
I made a request for a code, but was wondering if I did the right thing or
not ...

If someone has implemented vendor-specific values, I'd appreciate if you
could e-mail me. 

Thank you!

joe varghese

--------------------------------
George (Joe) Varghese
[email-masked]
(630) 713-9522

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.