Subject: (radius) Milestones Updated

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 03:56:45 -0700 (PDT)

Now that everything's in the pipeline, here's the updated milestones.

An archive of recent mail to ietf-radius is available
in ftp://ftp.livingston.com/pub/radius/archive/

The RADIUS Working Group has no further meetings scheduled.

Subject: IETF RADIUS Working Group Charter

Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) 
Operational Requirements Directorate
Working Group Charter (created 95/6/12, last update 99/5/12)

It was decided at the RADIUS BOF held 4 April 1995 at the 32nd IETF in
Danvers, Massachusetts that a RADIUS Working Group should be formed.

Before taking an active role in the Working Group the Chair requests
that anyone who has not recently read RFC 1718 "The Tao of IETF" and
RFC 1602 "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision 2" please take a
moment to do so.  For your convenience copies of both are available
from ftp://ftp.livingston.com/pub/radius/rfc1602 and rfc1718 for easy
retrieval.

Goals:

The working group produced RFC 2138 "RADIUS" as a proposed standard
and RFC 2139 "RADIUS Accounting" as informational in April 1997.

The end purpose of this group is to produce the following documents:

1) A full standard RFC documenting the RADIUS protocol
already deployed for use by a Network Access Server (NAS) to
communicate with a remote Authentication & Authorization database
server, with minor amendments reflecting field experience of
several implementations over several years at thousands of sites.

2) An informational RFC describing RADIUS Accounting.

3) An informational RFC for RADIUS Extensions
documenting extensions for additional functionality within the
RADIUS framework, which will be interoperable with the base RADIUS
defined in the document for goal 1.

4-5) Two standard RFCs documenting SNMP MIBs for RADIUS clients and servers.

6-7) Two informational RFCs documenting SNMP MIBs for RADIUS Accounting clients and servers.

8-9) Two standard RFCs documenting RADIUS use for Tunneling.

10) One informational RFC documenting RADIUS accounting use for Tunneling.

11) An informational memo documenting independent interoperable implementations
in support of item 1's advancement to draft standard.

12) An informational memo providing guidance to the IANA in allocating
numbers in the RADIUS attributes and values, in support of item 1's
advancement to full standard.

Current Status:

All current drafts are available on ftp://ftp.livingston.com/pub/radius
and the usual Internet-Drafts directories, as listed in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

These drafts went to working group last call 1999/5/12, due 5/26.

draft-ietf-radius-accounting-v2-01.txt	RADIUS Accounting
draft-ietf-radius-ext-04.txt		RADIUS Extensions
draft-ietf-radius-radius-v2-01.txt	RADIUS

These drafts have already been through working group last call and
are being edited to address IESG concerns, at which point they can
go to IETF last call:

draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-acct-03.txt
draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-auth-06.txt
draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-imp-04.txt

These drafts have been through IETF last call and the IESG and are in
the RFC Editor's queue.

draft-ietf-radius-acc-clientmib-05.txt
draft-ietf-radius-acc-servmib-05.txt
draft-ietf-radius-auth-clientmib-05.txt
draft-ietf-radius-auth-servmib-05.txt

Milestones:

1999 June - All documents through last call and to the RFC Editor
1999 October - RADIUS submitted for Full Standard
1999 December - Documents that were proposed drafts in June submitted
		as draft standards
2000 April - Documents that were draft standards in December submitted
		as full standards.  Working group concludes.

Scope:

The intent in goals 1 and 2 are to document the protocol as it exists
and is used currently, in such a way as to allow interoperable
implementations to be written from the RFC.  Minor modifications to
enhance interoperability or operation based on field experience are
suitable, major overhauls are outside the scope of this working group's
charter.  Goals 3 through 10 are to provide a mechanism for additional
features deemed widely useful to be added to the existing framework,
for example to provide better support for EAP and L2TP.

Clearly outside the scope of the charter are the following:

1) NAS Standardization is outside the scope.  We're defining standard
	RADIUS, not a standard encompassing everything about network
	access servers.  This effort does not require NASes to
	implement RADIUS; it just defines how the RADIUS Protocol works
	on NASes that do implement RADIUS.

2) RADIUS is not intended as a NAS management protocol,
	SNMP already exists for that.

3) Management of the Authentication/Authorization database itself is
	outside the scope.

4) Alternative transport protocols such as IPX or IPv6 appear
	straightforward, but will not be addressed in this effort.

5) The flexibility and generality of RADIUS have led to its use
	for other applications, but this Working Group is addressing
	only those uses involving user dial-in to Network Access Servers.

Background:

The original specification for and implementation of RADIUS was written
by Steve Willens of Livingston Enterprises in response to a need
outlined by the earlier NASREQ working group, and has been deployed by
multiple vendors over the past 6 years.

No other working group appears to be addressing the topic of communicating
authentication and authorization information between a Network Access
Server and a central authentication & authorization server, and general
consensus is that standardization of such a protocol would be extremely
useful.

Mailing List: [email-masked]
	To join, send email to [email-masked]
	with "subscribe" in the body of the message.

Archives and working documents directory (updated monthly): 
	ftp://ftp.livingston.com/pub/radius/

Document Editor 
	Carl Rigney
	Livingston Enterprises
	[email-masked]

   For RADIUS MIBs contact:
	Bernard Aboba
	Internaut Books
	[email-masked]

	Glen Zorn
	Microsoft Corporation
	[email-masked]

   For RADIUS Tunneling contact:
	Bernard Aboba
	Internaut Books
	[email-masked]

	Dave Mitton
	Nortel Networks
	[email-masked]

	Glen Zorn
	Microsoft Corporation
	[email-masked]

Working Group Chair:
	Carl Rigney
	Livingston Enterprises
	4464 Willow Road; Pleasanton, CA  94588
	[email-masked]
	925-737-2100

--
[email-masked]

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:03:35 -0700

>draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-imp-04.txt

Wait a minute! Didn't you see my email bringing up a significant problem
with the tunnel attributes? And the solution too?

I don't believe these drafts ever passed WG last call.

-