Subject: [Rai-discuss] TSV BOF request under consideration: SAFE

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:30:15 +0200

Hi RAI people, I think this is in your interest also.

We TSV ADs have received a request for a BOF in Vancouver: SAFE -
Self-Address Fixing Evolution. See description below. I would appreciate
any feedback on this. For public discussion please use the SAFE mailing
list.

Post: [email-masked]
Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/safe

Draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-03.txt

SAFE - Self-Address Fixing Evolution
------------------------------------

Chairs:
  TBD

ICE and its companion protocol STUN have been successfully deployed on
the Internet for NAT traversal.  ICE and STUN have several characteristics
which contribute to their success:

  1. incremental deployment.  ICE and STUN are functional without any
     modifications to existing NATs.
  2. nested NATs.  ICE and STUN work when there are multiple NATs
     between a host and the Internet.
  3. topology unaware.  ICE and STUN are not configured with
     information about NATs, firewalls, or their locations -- only
     with the IP address of a server on the Internet.
  4. simple security model.  If a host behind a NAT is allowed to send
     a packet across the NAT, it is allowed to receive a response.
  5. works on routed networks, which allows operation in both
     enterprise networks and home networks.

Other NAT traversal protocols do not share these characteristics,
which hinders their widespread deployment.  Specifically,

  * incremental deployment is not possible with MIDCOM, NSIS-NSLP,
    UPnP, or Bonjour.  With all of these protocols, both the NAT
    and the endpoint have to support the same protocol.
  * nested NATs are not possible with UPnP or Bonjour.
  * topology awareness is required of MIDCOM.
  * security must be established between the controlling entity
    and the NAT for MIDCOM and NSIS-NSLP.
  * Both UPnP and Bonjour use broadcast packets which don't work
    well on routed networks.

However, a drawback of ICE/STUN is its chatty keepalive traffic,
which is a result of STUN not knowing the binding lifetime of its
on-path NATs.  This chattiness causes a burden on servers and
consumes network bandwidth, which is especially critical on wireless
networks.  It is desirable to reduce this chattiness while still
retaining the important characteristics of STUN and ICE.

This BoF is intended to discuss one proposed technique,
draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage, which nearly eliminates
STUN's keepalive chatter and still preserves the desirable
characteristics of STUN/ICE.

The purpose of this BoF is to create a working group for this effort.

Agenda:
  Introduction, Agenda ....................................  5
  Summary of existing NAT traversal techniques ............ 40
   (UPnP, NAT-PMP/Bonjour, MIDCOM techniques, NSIS-NSLP, ICE)
  draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage ................ 40
  Q&A ..................................................... 25
                                                    ----------
                                                    total: 110

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM/M
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Rai-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rai-discuss