Subject: [RAI] The Dublin agenda

From: Hadriel Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:27:12 -0400

Howdy,
I know you guys are busy and the agenda is still in flux, so apologies if this is moot, but I noticed two things on the latest agenda that seem perplexing to me:
1) SIP is meeting at the same time as AVT and ENUM. (Tuesday 18:50-19:50)  Hopefully that's just an error.
2) There's a RAI "ALTO" BOF for "Application-Layer Traffic Optimization" - I have not seen anything about this on the RAI list... did I miss it?

-hadriel
_______________________________________________
RAI mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rai

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 13:13:10 -0500

Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
> Howdy, I know you guys are busy and the agenda is still in flux, so 
> apologies if this is moot, but I noticed two things on the latest 
> agenda that seem perplexing to me:
[...]
> 2) There's a RAI "ALTO" BOF for "Application-Layer Traffic 
> Optimization" - I have not seen anything about this on the RAI 
> list... did I miss it?

Hadriel: The ALTO work is an offshoot of the IETF/MIT P2P
Infrastructure support workshop that was held on May 28th.

The discussion has happened mostly on the p2pi mailing list
(see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/p2pi/current/maillist.html)
with some overlap with the tsvarea mailing list (see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tsv-area/current/maillist.html).

More information about ALTO is at the BoF Wiki page
(http://www3.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki) and the ALTO home
page (http://alto.tilab.com/).

ALTO is the RAI/Apps area BoF which resulted from the workshop
discussions, and TANA is the Transport area sponsored BoF resulting
from the same workshop.  Lars' email summarizes the broad areas of
work that came out of the workshop (see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tsv-area/current/msg00168.html,
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tsv-area/current/msg00171.html)

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
WWW:   http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bell-labs
_______________________________________________
RAI mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rai

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:32:30 -0700

On Jul 2, 2008, at 10:27 AM, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

> Howdy,
> I know you guys are busy and the agenda is still in flux, so  
Yep, all very much in flux but all the same, I do appreciate folks  
pointing out problems because I catch some of them but not all.

>
> 1) SIP is meeting at the same time as AVT and ENUM. (Tuesday  
> 18:50-19:50)  Hopefully that's just an error.
>
Yah, I saw this before I had my first coffee this morning - there was  
some head exploding. Hope to be able to fix it - as you point, this is  
a really bad conflict.
> Optimization" - I have not seen anything about this on the RAI  

This is being discussed on p2pi list. There is also a closely related  
TANA BOF. Both of these came out of the p2pi workshop and have many  
implications for RAI and need RAI people to show up at them if we want  
the resulting work to not damage voip deployments.

You can find all the BOFs at http://www3.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki