Subject: [RAI] SIPCore Charter - draft B

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:57:35 -0700

Updated draft for comments,

Thanks, Cullen & Jon

---------------------------------------
Rev B - Feb 27

   The Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore) working group is  
chartered to
   maintain and continue the development of the core SIP  
specifications, currently
   defined as proposed standard RFCs 3261, 3262, 3263, 3264, and 3265.

   The SIPCore working group will concentrate on specifications that
   update or replace the core SIP specifications. In this context,
   "update" means replacing or modifying protocol elements in the above
   listed RFCs in ways that would affect most or all implementations of
   those RFCs alone.  Extensions to SIP that add new functionality that
   would not be required of all implementations will be done outside of
   this WG. The process and requirements for such extensions are
   documented in RFC 3427bis, "Change Process for the Session Initiation
   Protocol".

   The SIPCore working group will concentrate on specifications that
   update or replace the core SIP specifications. In this context,
   "update" means replacing or modifying protocol elements in the above
   listed RFCs in ways that would affect most or all implementations of
   those RFCs alone.  Extensions to SIP that add new functionality that
   would not be required of all implementations will be done outside of
   this WG. The process and requirements for such extensions are
   documented in RFC 3427bis, "Change Process for the Session Initiation
   Protocol".

   Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic  
model and
   architecture defined by SIP.  In particular:

   1.  Services and features are provided end-to-end whenever possible.

   2.  Reuse of existing Internet protocols and architectures and  
integrating
       with other Internet applications is crucial.

   The primary source of change requirements will be a) interoperability
   problems that stem from ambiguous or under-defined specification,  
and b)
   requirements from other working groups in the RAI Area.

   Although in general the WG will not work on extensions to SIP, it
   may take on some previous work items from the SIP working group
   to allow for a smooth transition.

Goals and Milestones:

  Feb 2009  Location Conveyance with SIP to IESG (PS)
  Mar 2009  Identify requirements for test matrix to move SIP to Draft  
Standard
  Mar 2009  Essential corrections to RFC 3261 (1st batch) to IESG (PS)
  May 2009  Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy to  
IESG (PS)
  May 2009  INFO package framework to IESG (PS)

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:17:36 -0600

Hi, Cullen,

I was actually thrilled when the Hitchhiker's Guide was approved for 
publication. Is there an obvious place for work on updates? It sounds like 
the whole point of SIPCORE is that SIPCORE doesn't (and doesn't need to) 
know about the rest of the universe. Does ANYONE?

(signed) Curious...

>   maintain and continue the development of the core SIP  specifications, 
> currently
>   Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic  model 
> and
>   problems that stem from ambiguous or under-defined specification,  and 
> b)
>  May 2009  Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy to  IESG 
> (PS)
> _______________________________________________
> RAI mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rai
>