Subject: [RAI] comments on draft-peterson-rai-rfc3427bis-01.txt

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:23:04 -0400

A couple of comments on this.

Firstly, I still think its not very clear about what kind of work can be 
chartered in non-SIPCORE groups. The draft is clear about event 
packages, but nothing else. I think the draft is trying to classify SIP 
work into four buckets:

1. updates/obsoletes of 3261-5
2. informational only headers
3. normal SIP extensions
4. event packages

So we know that:

1-> SIPCORE
2-> designated expert review
3-> ???
4-> anywhere

I think its:

3-> any ietf working group

but that is not clear. For example, location-conveyance. Or sip-saml. I 
am presuming that, this kind of thing is in bucket 3.

If my breakdown above is correct, I think it would be valuable to 
clearly define these four different types of work and make it clear 
about this third category.

I also found this part confusing:

> The DISPATCH working group chairs, in conjunction with the RAI Area
>    Directors, will determine if the particular problems raised in the
>    requirements Internet-Draft is indeed outside the charter of existing
>    efforts, and if so, if it warrants a DISPATCH milestone for the
>    definition of a new effort. 

this seems to imply that we'll be defining dispatch milestones for 
delivery of requirements documents - I thought we are trying to avoid that.

Later on the document says:

> With respect to standardization, this process means that SIP
>    extensions come only from the IETF, the body that created SIP.  The
>    IETF will not publish a SIP extension RFC outside of the processes
>    described here. 

this is confusing too. I think many people (myself included) view these 
'informational headers' as 'extensions'. This text would then seem to 
contradict the rules later which allow designated expert registration of 
new headers.

I think this is all cleaned up by having a clear definition of the whole 
suite of SIP 'extensions/enhancements'.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   111 Wood Avenue South
Cisco Fellow                                   Iselin, NJ 08830
Cisco, Voice Technology Group
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (408) 902-3084
http://www.cisco.com