Subject: [RAI] RAI area review for http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-westerlund-mmusic-3gpp-sdp-rtsp-07

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:04:52 -0400

I have reviewed draft-westerlund-mmusic-3gpp-sdp-rtsp-07 for the RAI area. This 
document is written to register the following entities with IANA on behalf of 3GPP:

Three SDP protocol identifiers:
    UDP/MBMS-FEC/RTP/AVP
    UDP/MBMS-FEC/RTP/SAVP
    UDP/MBMS-REPAIR

Eighteen SDP attributes:
    X-predecbufsize                            alt
    X-initpredecbufperiod                      alt-default-id
    X-initpostdecbufperiod                     alt-group
    X-decbyterate                              3GPP-Adaptation-Support
    3gpp-videopostdecbufsize                   3GPP-QoE-Metrics
    framesize                                  3GPP-Asset-Information
    3GPP-Integrity-Key                         mbms-mode
    3GPP-SRTP-Config                           mbms-flowid
    3GPP-SDP-Auth                              mbms-repair

Thirteen RTSP 1.0 (RFC 2326) headers:
    3GPP-Freshness-Token                       Pipelined-Requests
    3GPP-Link-Char                             x-predecbufsize
    3GPP-Adaptation                            x-initpredecbufperiod
    3GPP-QoE-Metrics                           x-initpostdecbufperiod
    3GPP-QoE-Feedback                          3gpp-videopostdecbufsize
    Switch-Stream                              Supported
    SDP-Requested

Four RTSP 1.0 option tags
    3gpp-pipelined
    3gpp-switch
    3gpp-switch-req-sdp
    3gpp-switch-stream

I find that this document meets the requirements for registration of these 
entities. In the case of RTSP 1.0 headers, an IETF Standards Track document is 
the preferred method of registration. The reviewed I-D is Informational, but 
points to 3GPP Technical Standards for the normative definition of the headers 
(and of all of the other entities). The document points out that this 
registration is very much after the fact, as the names being registered have 
been implemented already in millions of mobile devices.

IMHO this document is ready for publication. I do have a modest concern 
regarding the Supported RTSP header, since it appears in RTSP 2.0 (Work in 
progress), though not in RTSP 1.0 (RFC 2326). Given that Magnus used to be 
editor of the RTSP 2.0 draft and is co-author of the reviewed draft, I trust 
that the RTSP 2.0 definition of the Supported header is identical to that used 
by 3GPP.

Tom Taylor
Tom Taylor