Subject: [RAI] Chartering new WGs

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:52:08 +0300

Folks,

I have also been asked to clarify the process for chartering new WGs. It
seems most people also see this process as a black box.

In short, once the responsible AD agrees on a charter proposal with the
proponents of the work, the charter proposal will be reviewed by the
IESG and the IAB. After that, the charter proposal will be reviewed by
the whole IETF community. Finally, the IESG will review the charter
proposal once more, taking into consideration all the feedback received
from the community.

I have been asked what "approved for external review" means. It means
that the charter proposal is ready to be reviewed by the whole IETF
community.

Of course, this is a very high-level description of the process. If you
have more concrete questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

---

From: Hadriel Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:44:09 -0400

Hi Gonzalo,
The part that's a bit of a black-box unknown to me about this is in relation to DISPATCH-driven WGs.  How does one get one of these new mini-WGs formed from DISPATCH?  Specifically, at what point or what trigger occurs to take a charter text from DISPATCH email discussions to the IESG?  

And if we get agenda time in the DISPATCH f2f meeting, are we expected to treat it as a mini-BOF and get hums on a charter and the usual questions about interest/work, or if not where does that happen when it's in DISPATCH vs. the normal BOF model?

Thanks!

-hadriel

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Gonzalo Camarillo
> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:52 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [RAI] Chartering new WGs
> 
> Folks,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> RAI mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rai

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:54:09 +0200

Hi Hadriel,

the process is the same. After a (successful) BOF, its proponents send a
charter proposal to the responsible AD, who may have comments on the
proposal. When those comments are discussed, the AD sends the proposal
to the IESG and the IAB for review. Likewise, after a (successful)
DISPATCH ad-hoc meeting or after having had (successful) mailing list
discussions, the proponents of that particular piece of work (and the
DISPATCH chairs) send a charter proposal to the responsible AD, and the
process is the same.

As you know, the decision about whether to discuss a proposal within
DISPATCH or in a BOF depends on a number of factors, such as the
proposal's scope. In any case, regardless of whether a charter proposal
is discussed in a BOF or in DISPATCH, we need to know if there is
interest to work on it, if there is rough consensus on the charter,
etc... as you said, we need answers to the usual questions.

So, answering your other question, having good answers to the usual
questions is the trigger; at that point, the charter can be sent to the
responsible AD.

Additionally, people may not know that there is a mailing list where
other SDOs get information on new work being started by the IETF:

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work

Cheers,

Gonzalo

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:49:41 -0500

So, is the new work mailing list one that we can subscribe to? It seems that
moderator approval is required to suscribe and thus it's not something the
average IETF participant can subscribe to.   Who posts the information to
the New Work mailing list and what sort of information might be posted that
we don't see on WG, Area or IETF announcement mailing list?

Thanks,
Mary.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Gonzalo Camarillo <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> > The part that's a bit of a black-box unknown to me about this is in
> relation to DISPATCH-driven WGs.  How does one get one of these new mini-WGs
> formed from DISPATCH?  Specifically, at what point or what trigger occurs to
> take a charter text from DISPATCH email discussions to the IESG?
> >
> > And if we get agenda time in the DISPATCH f2f meeting, are we expected to
> treat it as a mini-BOF and get hums on a charter and the usual questions
> about interest/work, or if not where does that happen when it's in DISPATCH
> vs. the normal BOF model?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -hadriel
> >

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:21:56 +0200

Hi,

yes, it is a closed list. If you check some of the announcements about
WGs to be chartered, they are cc:ed to that list.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

On 21/07/2010 4:49 PM, Mary Barnes wrote:
> So, is the new work mailing list one that we can subscribe to? It seems
> that moderator approval is required to suscribe and thus it's not
> something the average IETF participant can subscribe to.   Who posts the
> information to the New Work mailing list and what sort of information
> might be posted that we don't see on WG, Area or IETF announcement
> mailing list?
> 
> Thanks,
> Mary. 
> 
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Gonzalo Camarillo
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> wrote:
> 
>     Hi Hadriel,
> 
>     > The part that's a bit of a black-box unknown to me about this is
>     in relation to DISPATCH-driven WGs.  How does one get one of these
>     new mini-WGs formed from DISPATCH?  Specifically, at what point or
>     what trigger occurs to take a charter text from DISPATCH email
>     discussions to the IESG?
>     >
>     > And if we get agenda time in the DISPATCH f2f meeting, are we
>     expected to treat it as a mini-BOF and get hums on a charter and the
>     usual questions about interest/work, or if not where does that
>     happen when it's in DISPATCH vs. the normal BOF model?
>     >
>     > Thanks!
>     >
>     > -hadriel
>     >
>     >> From: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     [mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>] On Behalf Of
>     >> Gonzalo Camarillo
>     >> To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     >> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:05:16 +0200

> WGs to be chartered, they are cc:ed to that list.

Almost all the emails on new-work are also sent to ietf-announce.

(Ideally, other SDOs in the Internet space sent their new work announcements there. In practice, only the W3C seems to do this on occasion, and their announcements are also receivable in other forms. So you're not missing out on anything, really.)

Lars