Subject: [RAI] Transparency

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:16:26 +0300

Folks,

I have talked about transparency with the chairs of a few WGs but I
would like to share my thoughts with the whole RAI community. It is very
important that we perform our work transparently so that it is easy for
anyone to understand what a WG does and why the WG does it. It is also
important for people to be able to know the current status of any WG and
its milestones. Among other good things, transparency makes it easier to
attract new contributors and reduces the risk of late surprises in the
process.

Bases on my experience, it is often difficult to understand what is
going on in a WG at a given point. There is work happening on external
mailing lists, in conference calls, in ad-hoc face-to-face meetings,
etc... and that is great. The problem is when decisions made in those
venues are not reported back to the WG's mailing list. The fact that
milestone dates in charter pages have most of the time nothing to do
with reality does not help either.

So, let's keep this in mind and let's make sure that WG's mailing lists
and charters reflect as well as possible what is going on in the WGs.

Thanks,

Gonzalo