Subject: [RAI] Errata report for Errata 121 (for RFC4337, "MIME Type Registration for MPEG-4") and 1409 (for RFC4458, "SIP URIs for Voicemail and IVR")

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:53:01 -0400

======================================================================
RFC4337, "MIME Type Registration for MPEG-4"
Source of RFC: IETF - NON WORKING GROUP
Area Assignment: rai

Errata ID: 121

Status: Reported
Type: Editorial

Reported By: Alfred Hoenes
Date Reported: 2006-03-19

Section 5 says:

   Security considerations: See section 5 of RFC 4337.

It should say:

   Security considerations: See section 4 of RFC 4337.

Notes:

The Security Considerations *are* in Section 4 of RFC 4337.
Note: This must have been a last-minute "fix", the draft was o.k.

I recommend to have the IANA update the registrations accordingly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended status:  (correct) Hold for document update

Actually, the text in question appears in multiple sections (one
appearance for each registered MIME type, sections 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4,
and 3.5), but not in section 5.

The erratum is correct.  However, given the incorrect reference, I
would expect any reader to discover the correct section of RFC 4337.

In regard to IANA, it appears that the IANA database
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/video/, et al.) only
contains references to the defining RFCs, and not the complete
registrations.  (The complete registrations are obtained by following
the references.)  Hence the IANA is not incorrect.  (This aspect of
the IANA database may have changed since the erratum was reported.)
======================================================================
RFC4458, "Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) URIs for Applications such
as Voicemail and Interactive Voice Response (IVR)"
Source of RFC: IETF - NON WORKING GROUP
Area Assignment: rai

Errata ID: 1409

Status: Reported
Type: Technical

Reported By: Francois AUDET
Date Reported: 2008-04-16

Section 5 says:

     target-param      =  "target" EQUAL pvalue

     cause-param       =  "cause" EQUAL Status-Code

It should say:

     target-param      =  "target=" pvalue

     cause-param       =  "cause=" Status-Code

Notes:

The definition was too permissive and conflicted with RFC 3261 ABNF
(p. 223). Since this parameter is part of the other-param of
uri-parameter, only a "=" (i.e, no linear whitespace allowed) and not
EQUAL (which allows linear whitespace).
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended status:  (correct) Verified (publish)

The erratum is correct.  An implementer may be deceived by the current
text into generating syntactically incorrect URIs, so this erratum
should be published.
======================================================================

Dale