Subject: [RAI] Errata report on errata 1600 and 1601 on RFC 5347, "Media Gateway Control Protocol Fax Package"

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:03:51 -0500

======================================================================
RFC5347, "Media Gateway Control Protocol Fax Package"
Source of RFC: IETF - NON WORKING GROUP
Area Assignment: rai

Errata ID: 1600

Status: Reported
Type: Technical

Reported By: Alfred Hoenes
Date Reported: 2008-11-17

Section 2.1.1,pg.6/7 says:

a)  last paragraph on page 6:

   The Call Agent instructs the gateway to perform the media change by
   sending it a ModifyConnection command with "image/t38" listed as the
   encoding method in the LocalConnectionOptions (receipt of a
   ModifyConnection command without LocalConnectionOptions but with a
|  RemoteConnectionDescriptor containing an "m=" line with the MIME type
   "image/t38" would achieve the same).  [...]

b)  second paragraph on page 7:

                     [...].  The T.38 fax procedure continues when an
   acceptable RemoteConnectionDescriptor is received.  An acceptable
   RemoteConnectionDescriptor contains an "m=" line with the "image/t38"
|  MIME type (using the normal SDP syntax) and a supported transport
   protcol (UDPTL or TCP).  [...]

It should say:

a)
   The Call Agent instructs the gateway to perform the media change by
   sending it a ModifyConnection command with "image/t38" listed as the
   encoding method in the LocalConnectionOptions (receipt of a
   ModifyConnection command without LocalConnectionOptions but with a
|  RemoteConnectionDescriptor containing an "m=" line with the media
   type "image/t38" would achieve the same).  [...]

b)

                     [...].  The T.38 fax procedure continues when an
   acceptable RemoteConnectionDescriptor is received.  An acceptable
   RemoteConnectionDescriptor contains an "m=" line with the "image/t38"
|  media type (using the normal SDP syntax) and a supported transport
   protcol (UDPTL or TCP).  [...]

Notes:

Rationale:

BCP 13, RFC 4288, has re-enforced the terminology from
RFC 2045 ff. The 'IM' in "MIME" stands for 'Internet Mail'.
As pointed out in RFC 4288, it makes no sense to remain stuck
with the colloquial abuse of language, talking about "MIME types",
in particular when Media Types are used outside the scope of
Internet Mail; the MGCP context is one specific example of
such a scenario. Hence, the RFC should use the terminology
established in the IETF, as explained in RFC 4288.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended status: (correct) Hold for document update
Type: Editorial
======================================================================
RFC5347, "Media Gateway Control Protocol Fax Package"
Source of RFC: IETF - NON WORKING GROUP
Area Assignment: rai

Errata ID: 1601

Status: Reported
Type: Technical

Reported By: Alfred Hoenes
Date Reported: 2008-11-17

Section 2.1.4, pg.9 says:

<< near the top of page 9 >>:

|     * the relevant MIME media type, e.g., "image/t38", is included in
        the "m=" line in the RemoteConnectionDescriptor, or

|     * the relevant MIME media type is included as a capability (see
        [RFC3407]) in the RemoteConnectionDescriptor.

It should say:

|     * the relevant media type, e.g., "image/t38", is included in the
        "m=" line in the RemoteConnectionDescriptor, or

|     * the relevant media type is included as a capability (see
        [RFC3407]) in the RemoteConnectionDescriptor.

Notes:

Rationale: See Errata for Section 2.1.1, Eid=1600.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended status: (correct) Hold for document update
Type: Editorial
======================================================================

Dale