Subject: [RAI] Progressing the INVOKE-related work

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:35:38 -0400

Folks,

as you know, the following draft has lately been discussed in the
SPLICES and RAI area mailing lists:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yusef-splices-invoke/

>From all the discussions, there seems to be interest in working on a
call/device control mechanism. In order to do that, we need to clearly
define the scope of such an effort (i.e., which types of primitives
would be in scope and which ones wouldn't).

In addition to defining the scope, there are open issues related to how
to model the mechanism (i.e., using SIP directly vs. using SIP to
establish a control channel). They will need to be resolved at some
point as well.

As some people have pointed out, the charter of SPLICES excludes working
on such a mechanism. Therefore, the next step is to have DISPATCH work
on a charter proposal for this effort. Nevertheless, we want to take
advantage of the current momentum behind this effort. So, this topic
will be discussed in SPLICES, as planned, during the IETF.

Cheers,

Gonzalo