Subject: [ranger] BOF situation with Ranger

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:32:09 +0200

Fred and others,

The ADs have decided to not approve the RANGER BOF at this time. This 
decision is mainly due to the observation that we already have quite a 
bit of routing and addressing related work in the IETF/IRTF: the routing 
research group, the proposed LISP BOF, many of the arguments for the 
proposed 6AI BOF relate to address independence as well, etc. When 
looking at all of these efforts, there was far less discussion and 
general interest on RANGER than the other ones. On the other hand, the 
proposal was submitted a bit late so I at least did not have time to 
read all the material and I presume others may have had the same problem.

IETF work generally starts when there's a technical issue that can be 
solved _and_ there is wide-spread community interest in solving it in a 
particular way. I suspect we will see many future efforts in this space 
-- but for any effort to make sense, there has to be that community that 
is interested in discussing it. I would also like to offer the 
possibility of independent submissions to the RFC Editor or AD sponsored 
individual submission RFCs through the IETF. These might be useful for 
folks who want to document something which does not warrant an entire 
IETF WG.

Also, Fred and I have been talking off-list about a possible INT-AREA 
presentation around SEAL. Stay tuned.

Jari