Subject: [Rats] my hack attempt at a RATS icon

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 09:18:24 +0800

Some of you may know of my obsession (fetish?) with icons for things.
I strongly think that good images help us do good marketing. 
(6tisch made a nice logo for instance, and I think it has helped)

For a presentation I concocted the attached icon for remote attestation.
It's in a pull request to the iot-dir at
https://github.com/iot-dir/slides/pull/3
URLs:
https://github.com/mcr/slides/blob/master/icons/rats.svg
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcr/slides/master/icons/rats.png

And attached in SVG, assuming it gets through the list.

The RAT is looking through a telescope at some "code".  Maybe that's
more about the RIV use case than some other use cases, but

---

From: Guy Fedorkow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 22:42:15 +0000

Michael,
  May I encourage your obsession!  I kinda like it, although it's certainly the most insider of insider jokes...
/guy

Juniper Business Use Only

-----Original Message-----
From: RATS <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Michael Richardson
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 8:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Rats] my hack attempt at a RATS icon

Some of you may know of my obsession (fetish?) with icons for things.
I strongly think that good images help us do good marketing. (6tisch made a nice logo for instance, and I think it has helped)

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcr/slides/master/icons/rats.png__;!8WoA6RjC81c!SLVl9Fb2YkPoA3znUDE3JP_UGXO7_d2ZrosRoTW51LjZmDKHkHvNI98UYS-wpzJuwiY$ 

The RAT is looking through a telescope at some "code".  Maybe that's more about the RIV use case than some other use cases, but

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 01:03:47 +0000

Is the rat clip-art public domain?

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 20:09:50 +0800

> Is the rat clip-art public domain?

Thanks for asking!
Yes, I try to be meticulous when I'm grabbing artwork from the Internet.
I have a script that wget's stuff and saves it to "credits.txt" so that
I have a record!

I thought clker had explicit CC statements for each item, but they say
things are public domain.
(Which actually means that their terms of use are null and void. 
Stallman figured that out 40 years ago)

Anyway, here are the components:
http://www.clker.com/clipart-grey-greedy-rat.html
http://www.clker.com/clipart-sniper-optic.html 

Given that I put some public domain stuff together, I get to assert a
copyright on the collection if I want.
So, I'd use:  Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 08:59:48 -0500

Clever, but what about the people that hate rats?  I try to dis-associate
when I think of the working group.  Are there any cute rat images or one
that is white?

Thanks!
Kathleen

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 7:10 AM Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> RATS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rats
>

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:00:36 -0500

Oh, and I know a few artists.... not sure if any would be willing if a
cuter image is not available.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 18:32:07 -0500

> when I think of the working group.  Are there any cute rat images or one

White was thinking as a reference to white hat as someone asked.

Cute would be better though.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen