Subject: [Rats] automobile attestation ... was: driverless cars can't tell the difference between projections and real objects

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:30:36 +0100

So, legitimate road signs will need to be attested.

That doesn't solve the problem with projected images, as humans shouldn't
need to attest their existence.

Rich Kulawiec via Dumpsterfire <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > (h/t to Dave Farber and Geoff Goodfellow)

    > Begin forwarded message:

    >> From: the keyboard of geoff goodfellow <[email-masked]> Date:
    >> February 20, 2020 1:48:36 JST Subject: IS: Driverless cars can't tell
    >> the difference between projections and real objects
    >>
    >> This could be a concerning development for those who are working on
    >> autonomous vehicles.
    >>
    >> EXCERPT:
    >>
    >> One of the major concerns surrounding the development of driverless
    >> cars is that people might be able to hack into them remotely and take
    >> control. Tech journalists have been investigating ways this could be
    >> done for years, and car manufacturers are working hard to make sure
    >> their vehicles won't let this happen. It turns out you might not need
    >> to go very high tech to stop a driverless car, though, as researchers
    >> in Israel recently managed to stop one by simply projecting "phantoms"
    >> onto the road.
    >>
    >> Researchers from Ben-Gurion University of the Negev's (BGU) Cyber
    >> Security Research Center in Israel found that both semi-autonomous and
    >> fully autonomous cars stopped when they detected what they thought
    >> were humans in the street but were actually projections. They also
    >> projected a street sign onto a tree and fake lane markers onto the
    >> street to trick the cars. The research was published by the
    >> International Association for Cryptologic Research.
    >>
    >> Ben Nassi, lead author and a Ph.D. student, said in a statement that
    >> these types of issues are being overlooked by the companies that are
    >> developing these types of vehicles.
    >>
    >> "This type of attack is currently not being taken into consideration
    >> by the automobile industry. These are not bugs or poor coding errors
    >> but fundamental flaws in object detectors that are not trained to
    >> distinguish between real and fake objects and use feature matching to
    >> detect visual objects," Nassi said...  [...]
    >>
    >> Spooky video shows self-driving cars being tricked by holograms
    >> https://www.inverse.com/innovation/researchers-used-phantom-images-to-trick-driverless-cars-into-stopping
    >>

    > **********************************************************************
    > The Dumpsterfire mailing list is hosted by firemountain.net.

    > To unsubscribe or change delivery options:
    > http://www.firemountain.net/mailman/listinfo/dumpsterfire

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-