Subject: Re: [Rats] EAP and RIV

From: Giridhar Mandyam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 00:19:23 +0000

Sorry - I may be misunderstanding the request.  I did mention on the call that it would be desirable for RIV to also support EAT (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rats-eat-03).  Examples include home routers (802.11) that often do not have a HW TPM.

I did not however mention EAP (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3748), although that could be an interesting use case for attestation.

-Giri Mandyam

From: RATS <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Guy Fedorkow
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jessica Fitzgerald-McKay <[email-masked]>; Eric Voit (evoit) <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Rats] EAP and RIV

Someone asked about adding a protocol support for EAP to the RIV TPM Attestation draft on the RATS call yesterday, but I wasn't quick enough to write down the name...  Could anyone interested in this contact me?
  Thanks
/guy

Juniper Business Use Only

---

From: Guy Fedorkow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 13:38:30 +0000

Hi Giri,

  I'm sure the exchanges described in RIV to validate authenticity of the
software infrastructure could be carried in EAT format, although I don't
know the EAT operational environment well enough to know if there's someone
who'd use it.

  RIV without the TPM is a bit further afield, for a couple of reasons:

*	For better or worse, the TPM data structures are idiosyncratic.
Alan Turing would say that any computer could replicate them, but that
doesn't mean it would be a good idea, if there's no TPM under there.  If
there's a use case that provides a credible firmware TPM with no hardware
chip under it, and EAT is the right protocol, that's a different matter.
*	More broadly, RIV as it now stands assumes the security environment
outlined in the Security Considerations section of the draft.  As I
understand it, a number of the assumptions there are not of interest in the
EAT world.

  Let me know if I'm missing the intent of your question, though!

Thanks

/guy

From: RATS <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Giridhar Mandyam
Sent: Monday, May 4, 2020 8:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Rats] EAP and RIV

[External Email. Be cautious of content]

Sorry - I may be misunderstanding the request.  I did mention on the call
that it would be desirable for RIV to also support EAT
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rats-eat-03
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rats-eat-
03__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!QCFXstAmbwteEHm3-wmya3RFwSPeg7qJ9EmW4_hxpzF3gKZapd62eQtVr
3taRK5fX_M$> ).  Examples include home routers (802.11) that often do not
have a HW TPM.

I did not however mention EAP (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3748
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3748__;!!NEt6yMaO
-gk!QCFXstAmbwteEHm3-wmya3RFwSPeg7qJ9EmW4_hxpzF3gKZapd62eQtVr3taGIjDOik$> ),
although that could be an interesting use case for attestation.

-Giri Mandyam

From: RATS <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > On Behalf
Of Guy Fedorkow
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:37 AM
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Cc: Jessica Fitzgerald-McKay <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>; Eric Voit (evoit) <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >

Someone asked about adding a protocol support for EAP to the RIV TPM
Attestation draft on the RATS call yesterday, but I wasn't quick enough to
write down the name.  Could anyone interested in this contact me?

  Thanks

/guy