Subject: [Rats] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-architecture-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 07:55:27 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Remote ATtestation ProcedureS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Remote Attestation Procedures Architecture
        Authors         : Henk Birkholz
                          Dave Thaler
                          Michael Richardson
                          Ned Smith
                          Wei Pan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rats-architecture-10.txt
	Pages           : 49
	Date            : 2021-02-09

Abstract:
   In network protocol exchanges it is often the case that one entity
   requires believable evidence about the operational state of a remote
   peer.  Such evidence is typically conveyed as claims about the peer's
   software and hardware platform, and is subsequently appraised in
   order to assess the peer's trustworthiness.  The process of
   generating and appraising this kind of evidence is known as remote
   attestation.  This document describes an architecture for remote
   attestation procedures that generate, convey, and appraise evidence
   about a peer's operational state.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rats-architecture/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-rats-architecture-10.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rats-architecture-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 16:11:35 -0500

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rats-architecture-10

The design team closed a few remaining issues and pull requests.
Two pull requests turned out to fix the same text, so we needed to be sure we
really liked the text we chose.

On issue #208, wontfix:
https://github.com/ietf-rats-wg/architecture/issues/208
7.2 -- Attester

We discussed the issue of how the RP trusts that the Verifier is operating
correctly.  (Who Verifies the Verifier?)
This does not lead to architecting a "unitary Verifier/Relying-Party
somewhere in the chain", as the roles can still be split out.
When we dealt with the "mutual attestation" issue, in
   https://github.com/ietf-rats-wg/architecture/pull/268
we changed text that has relevance to this issue.

We have no issues open. No pull requests.
If the Shepherd hasn't already started, then they should please start.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide