Subject: [Rats] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-architecture-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 07:47:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Remote ATtestation ProcedureS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Remote Attestation Procedures Architecture
        Authors         : Henk Birkholz
                          Dave Thaler
                          Michael Richardson
                          Ned Smith
                          Wei Pan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rats-architecture-15.txt
	Pages           : 54
	Date            : 2022-02-08

Abstract:
   In network protocol exchanges it is often useful for one end of a
   communication to know whether the other end is in an intended
   operating state.  This document provides an architectural overview of
   the entities involved that make such tests possible through the
   process of generating, conveying, and evaluating evidentiary claims.
   An attempt is made to provide for a model that is neutral toward
   processor architectures, the content of claims, and protocols.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rats-architecture/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-rats-architecture-15.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rats-architecture-15

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 11:54:02 -0500

> Filename        : draft-ietf-rats-architecture-15.txt

...

    > https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rats-architecture-15

The diff is almost entirely detailed word smithing.
We have closed all issues and pull requests, including the proposed changes
to Figure 2, which were agreed to be abandonned.

There are four new informative references:
      [I-D.ietf-rats-daa]
      [I-D.tschofenig-rats-psa-token]
      [NIST-800-57-p1]
      [TCG-DICE-SIBDA]

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:45:15 -0500

Good afternoon,

I am reviewing the changes and suspect the following new wording will get
caught up in IETG review, if not sooner. On page 5, the start of the
sentence should not state the solution is trustworthy as that is
subjective. You can provide how you might assess the trustworthiness, but
that's different than just saying if it has a root of trust, it is
trustworthy, which is how it reads now.

I suggest just removing the word trustworthy in the following sentence:
Typically, a trustworthy solution starts with a specific component

Page 9, Section 3:
The change to add a description on entity/device also aligns with the usage
in NIST SP 800-193, so that should be fine as well.

The role text that was added and follows this definition is not as clear as
the prior text, IMO.

* This is substantial enough that others should weigh in on whether or not
this set of text changes should remain and that can happen in last call. I
prefer they be removed.

The change on page 26/27, #3 introduces language that is not as clear. We
know what a root of trust is, even if it can be instantiated in many ways.
A 'trusted environment' is less tangible . I think this text should be
reverted as well and should be reviewed by the working group as it will
likely be caught in IESG review as well.
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rats-architecture-15

The other changes are all fine and should not require additional review. I
am happy to progress this and. will watch for discussion and resolution on
these two points during IETF last call.

Best regards,
Kathleen

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 10:49 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> RATS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rats
>

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen