Subject: Re: [Raven] Summary of Observations

From: "Richard Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 17:00:05 -0500

[email-masked] (aka anonymous) wrote a lot of things that did not appear
to actually summarize the discussion (esp. points 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13, and
17) but did appear to reflect a certain amount of attitude. However,
[email-masked] (aka anonymous) kind of tipped his/her hand in writing:

> 18)  The IETF did not attempt to determine whether the Internet was a
vital
> part of the public infrastructure (worthy of active protection) or the
> private playtoy of an elite group of technicians.

which I believe is manifestly false.

The vast majority of people posting to the list so far seem to think that
the Internet is important: they just differ on whether they believe that
privacy and security are best served by secure protocols (the majority) or
law enforcement tapping (a small, but apparently sincere, minority). I
haven't seen anyone plugging a "let's kick out the newbies" position: if
nothing else, it's probably about a decade late for serious consideration.

Richard Payne

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven