Subject: [Raven] (European) lawful interception of telecommunications

From: "chefren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:17:52 +0100

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/lif/dat/1996/en_496Y1104_01.html

..

COUNCIL RESOLUTION of 17 January 1995 on the lawful interception of 
telecommunications (96/C 329/01) THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,  

..

ANNEX 

REQUIREMENTS  

This section presents the Requirements of law enforcement agencies relating to 
the lawful interception of telecommunications. These requirements are subject 
to national law and should be interpreted in accordance with applicable 
national policies. Terms are defined in the attached glossary.  

1. Law enforcement agencies require access to the entire telecommunications 
transmitted, or caused to be transmitted, to and from the number or other 
identifier of the target service used by the interception subject. Law 
enforcement agencies also require access to the call-associated data that are 
generated to process the call.  

1.1. Law enforcement agencies require access to all interception subjects 
operating temporarily or permanently within a telecommunications system.  

1.2. Law enforcement agencies require access in cases where the interception 
subject may be using features to divert calls to other telecommunications 
services or terminal equipment, including calls that traverse more than one 
network or are processed by more than one network operator/service provider 
before completing.  

1.3. Law enforcement agencies require that the telecommunications to and from a 
target service be provided to the exclusion of any telecommunications that do 
not fall within the scope of the interception authorization.  

1.4. Law enforcement agencies require access to call associated data such as:  

1.4.1. signalling of access ready status;  

1.4.2. called party number for outgoing connections even if there is no 
successful connection established;  

1.4.3. calling party number for incoming connections even if there is no 
successful connection established;  

1.4.4. all signals emitted by the target, including post-connection dialled 
signals emitted to activate features such as conference calling and call 
transfer;  

1.4.5. beginning, end and duration of the connection;  

1.4.6. actual destination and intermediate directory numbers if call has been 
diverted.  

1.5. Law enforcement agencies require information on the most accurate 
geographical location known to the network for mobile subscribers.  

1.6. Law enforcement agencies require data on the specific services used by the 
interception subject and the technical parameters for those types of 
communication.  

2. Law enforcement agencies require a real-time, fulltime monitoring capability 
for the interception of telecommunications. Call associated data should also be 
provided in real-time. If call associated data cannot be made available in real 
time, law enforcement agencies require the data to be available as soon as 
possible upon call termination.  

3. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service providers to 
provide one or several interfaces from which the intercepted communications can 
be transmitted to the law enforcement monitoring facility. These interfaces 
have to be commonly agreed on by the interception authorities and the network 
operators/service providers. Other issues associated with these interfaces will 
be handled according to accepted practices in individual countries.  

3.1. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service providers to 
provide call associated data and call content from the target service in a way 
that allows for the accurate correlation of call associated data with call 
content.  

3.2. Law enforcement agencies require that the format for transmitting the 
intercepted communications to the monitoring facility be a generally available 
format. This format will be agreed upon on an individual country basis.  

3.3. If network operators/service providers initiate encoding, compression or 
encryption of telecommunications traffic, law enforcement agencies require the 
network operators/service providers to provide intercepted communications en 
clair.  

3.4. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service providers to be 
able to transmit the intercepted communications to the law enforcement 
monitoring facility via fixed or switched connections.  

3.5. Law enforcement agencies require that the transmission of the intercepted 
communications to the monitoring facility meet applicable security 
requirements.  

4. Law enforcement agencies require interceptions to be implemented so that 
neither the interception target nor any other unauthorized person is aware of 
any changes made to fulfil the interception order. In particular, the operation 
of the target service must appear unchanged to the interception subject.  

5. Law enforcement agencies require the interception to be designed and 
implemented to preclude unauthorized or improper use and to safeguard the 
information related to the interception.  

5.1. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service providers to 
protect information on which and how many interceptions are being or have been 
performed, and not disclose information on how interceptions are carried out.  

5.2. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service providers to 
ensure that intercepted communications are only transmitted to the monitoring 
agency specified in the interception authorization.  

5.3. According to national regulations, network operators/service providers 
could be obliged to maintain an adequately protected record of activations of 
interceptions.  

6. Based on a lawful inquiry and before implementation of the interception, law 
enforcement agencies require: (1) the interception subject's identity, service 
number or other distinctive identifier; (2) information on the services and 
features of the telecommunications system used by the interception subject and 
delivered by network operators/service providers; and (3) information on the 
technical parameters of the transmission to the law enforcement monitoring 
facility.  

7. During the interception, law enforcement agencies may require information 
and/or assistance from the network operators/service providers to ensure that 
the communications acquired at the interception interface are those 
communications associated with the target service. The type of information 
and/or assistance required will vary according to the accepted practices in 
individual countries.  

8. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service providers to make 
provisions for implementing a number of simultaneous intercepts. Multiple 
interceptions may be required for a single target service to allow monitoring 
by more than one law enforcement agency. In this case, network 
operators/service providers should take precautions to safeguard the identities 
of the monitoring agencies and ensure the confidentiality of the 
investigations. The maximum number of simultaneous interceptions for a given 
subscriber population will be in accordance with national requirements.  

9. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service providers to 
implement interceptions as quickly as possible (in urgent cases within a few 
hours or minutes). The response requirements of law enforcement agencies will 
vary by country and by the type of target service to be intercepted.  

10. For the duration of the interception, law enforcement agencies require that 
the reliability of the services supporting the interception at least equals the 
reliability of the target services provided to the interception subject. Law 
enforcement agencies require the quality of service of the intercepted 
transmissions forwarded to the monitoring facility  to comply with the 
performance standards of the network  operators/service providers.  

= =
ii.nl ontwerpt, bouwt én onderhoudt websites
100 Euro aanbrengpremie: http://www.ii.nl/premie

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven