Subject: [Raven] IETF vote

From: Ed Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:09:06 -0500

According to Declan, sounds like the vote was about 16 to 1, against IETF 
modifying or creating new wiretap-friendly protocols.

The FBI had said (per a Washington Post article 11/10/99):

"That action will almost certainly set the group on a collision course with 
law enforcement. The federal law that requires makers of high-tech 
telephone networks to design in wiretap capabilities--a law known as 
CALEA--specifically excluded the Internet. It was "one of the central 
compromises of CALEA," said James X. Dempsey of the Center for Democracy 
and Technology, who helped negotiate the law.

But FBI spokesman Barry Smith said that exception was written into the laws 
after Internet service providers promised to provide such capability, and 
said that pre-CALEA wiretap provisions of Title 18 of the U.S. Code require 
the companies to comply with legal wiretap requests.

Smith said those setting the standards should understand that federal 
wiretap laws do in fact require them to design in wiretap capabilities. "We 
have every confidence that the technical-standards-setting bodies will 
fulfill that statutory requirement," Smith said."

I am an "internet service provider". I have made no such promise. Nor have 
I even been asked to make such a promise.

It appears that the FBI's "every confidence that the 
technical-standards-setting bodies will fulfill that statutory 
requirement", was a misplaced "confidence".

--
--------------------------
Ed Stone
[email-masked]
--------------------------

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven