Subject: [Raven] Lawsuit filed to block "Internet Wiretaps"

From: Martin Minow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:50:05 -0800

The New York Times web site (free, but registration required)
reports that two civil liberties groups, EPIC and ACLU, filed
suit challenging FCC rules that allow the U.S. government to
monitor the Internet and other communications systems, such
as cell phones. A separate suit was filed by the Electronic
Frontier Foundation.

'In their suit, the plaintiffs claim that the FCC rules exceed the
requirements of CALEA and violate the Fourth Amendment, which
prohibits "unreasonable searches and seizures."'

The article is currently available at
<http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_0_4_1453532_00.html>, and
might also be available on the CNET site <http://www.news.com/>.

Martin Minow
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven