Subject: Re: [Raven] Three Questions and Some Examples

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:17:42 -0500 (EST)

> 1) Is anyone willing to assert that more than 10% of the hands went up in
> favor of any proposition supporting special support for wiretapping? 

I do - from my point of view on the stage I thought that the % was between
10 & 15

Scott

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven

---

From: Mark Gaynor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:07:20 -0500 (EST)

I also will assert that more than 10% of the hands went up in favor of
supporting special protocols for wiretapping. I was sitting in the back of
the room and I believe I saw several hundred hands up. There were also
many absentions (at least a few hundred).

Bye
Mark

---

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:57:19 -0500

> I do - from my point of view on the stage I thought that the % was between
I'd have to say closer to 10%.  

I was sitting in the audience far stage left.  I was surrounded by telco 
reps.  When someone was speaking in favor of wiretapping, the applause 
was substantial.  I thought we had lost, to the second attempt to 
stack an IETF meeting!  

When the actual straw poll came, I was pleasantly surprised.  There 
was the expected forest of hands around me, but it was not widespread, 
merely in pockets around the room.  I tried counting, but the hands 
didn't stay up long enough.  It was less than 100, even if I tripled 
my own estimate.

>From my vantage, the abstension count outweighed the wiretapping 
promoters.  (for those of you not there, an abstension poll was taken.)

The anti-wiretapping sentiment was well over 70%, perhaps as high 
as 90% (depending on whether abstensions are counted).

There were a lot of folks that were there only for this plenary, 
wearing badges from various telcos, who left immediately after the poll, 
rolling their suitcases behind them.

It was very clear that wiretapping did not achieve consensus.  Which is 
what this is all about at the end of the day -- no consensus for 
wiretapping, strong support for having features to inhibit wiretapping.

I look forward to the IAB/IESG internet-draft.

[email-masked]
    Key fingerprint =  17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26  DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32