Subject: [Raven] My Vote

From: "Nathe Maud'dib" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:15:14 -0600

No the IETF should not modify existing or develop new protocols that assist in
wiretaping.

Chefren, you said:
"I don't want to say just "yes" or "no" I want to know
implications of the "yes" or "no" and that's impossible
without good investigation of the possibilities."
yet you consistantly ignore the possibility (indeed almost a probiblity) that
there are governments that will abuse the tech. that you are in favor of creating.

Here is a possibility for you.
first step:  Under request from various LEA's and countries, the IETF creats
tappible (and auditble) protocols.  These protocols are designed so that Officers
cannot set up a wiretap without assistance from the ISP.

second step: Country A requires that ISP's install equipment compliant with said
standards or be shut down.  ISP's and Personal rights activists protest but are
ignored.  ISP's are forced to install tappible equipment.

third step:  Country A requires that all isp's cooperate with all proper
government requests for tapping without complaint or be shut down summarily.

fourth step: country A decides that it should have a network wide monitoring
system in place.  because tapping is easily implemented (with proper procedures)
and because cooperation is manditory, all the government needs is the processing
power to sort and clasify everybody it wants at any time it wants without warning.

just because something is auditible and requires "proper procedures" does not meen
that it cannot be abused by a government.

-Ethan McCargar

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven

---

From: "chefren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:34:28 +0100

> that it cannot be abused by a government.

If setup right it gives the people a way to check what 
happened and thus check their governments.

"Angst" for governments can lower with more openness.

+++chefren