Subject: [Raven] Background: NSA Drafting MOU re US Domestic tapping

From: Ed Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:15:54 -0500

"NEW YORK, Dec. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- The National Security Agency is now 
drafting "memoranda of understanding" to clarify ways in which it can help 
the FBI track terrorists and criminals in the United States, territory in 
which it is generally off-limits, Newsweek has learned.  The FBI, never 
known for its technical know-how, welcomes the help from the high-tech NSA, 
but some senators are uneasy about letting the NSA eavesdrop more in the 
United States, report Washington Correspondent Gregory Vistica and 
Assistant Managing Editor Evan Thomas in the current issue of Newsweek."

"While a secret court must approve any national-security wiretaps on U.S.

citizens, there is still the risk of abuse. Under pressure to perform 
better, the NSA and CIA could overreach.  Under the existing rules, the NSA 
and CIA are supposed to spy on foreign threats while the FBI tends to crime 
at home."

see 
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-05 
-1999/0001088875&EDATE=

--
--------------------------
Ed Stone
[email-masked]
--------------------------

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven