Subject: Re: [Raven] Draft Policy Statement

From: Peter Greenwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 00:16:07 +0000

Fred Baker wrote:
> At 03:37 AM 12/5/99 +0000, Peter Greenwood wrote:
> >	5.1. Law enforcement agencies require network operators/service
> >	providers to ... not disclose information on how interceptions are
> >	carried out.
> 
> that i inconsistent with any request for standardization, which all of the
> governments have expressed and both ETSI and TIA are mandated with. I think
> that you misunderstood something, probably that the presence of the tap
> itself is to be secret.

Actually that is a quote from:

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/lif/dat/1996/en_496Y1104_01.html"

The only text in there that didn't come from the EU is the ellipsis. The
piece that the ellipsis replaced is about service providers hiding other
information.

The document itself consists of a few paragraphs of rubber-stamp text from
the Council of the European Union, followed by an annex (consisting of
statements of the form "Law enforcement agencies require X") apparently
prepared by national governments.

Government organizations are, of course, quite capable of coming out with
inconsistent or variable requirements (note that the document is dated five
years ago), or of failing to appreciate important points about
standardization.

> an important point I have tried got make several times.

 ... "me too" ... guilty  :(
-- 
	Peter Greenwood		[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven