Subject: [Raven] Wiretap gear - Export Controls?

From: Ed Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 10:08:45 -0500

A point to consider...

Currently many nations, including the US, impose export regulations on 
certain goods so as prevent certain nations or non-governmental entities 
from acquiring capabilities they would ostensibly use for evil.

Night vision equipment, certain conventional bugging equipment, computers 
of certain power, etc...

Since wiretapping is applied by tappers to acquire a product very much 
analogous to the product of conventional bugging equipment, which is export 
controlled, why shouldn't IP wiretapping capability be similary constrained 
by export controls?

To do so, of course, wiretapping capability would need to be 
hardware-based, rather than protocol-based. Then a national entity, such as 
the US, could mandate the use of equipment inside its jurisdiction that 
meets its legal requirements, under law, without providing at the same time 
tools for terrorists and tyrants. The export of such equipment would be 
prohibited to the nasty seven, just as other defense articles are.

Just one more argument for not giving the world an easier, cheaper, faster 
wiretap capability.
--
--------------------------
Ed Stone
[email-masked]
--------------------------

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven