Subject: [Raven] It's time... [OFF]

From: David Hindman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:56:51 -0800

It's time to quit... -- no, not to quit sending the list -- but -- to 
go home and enjoy the holiday. Most are already gone for the holiday. 
Even so, it's been very interesting reading all these comments from 
the beginning. I haven't had to post anything because others have 
done a far better job.

However, as it's the season in which we hear Handel's Messiah, as 
seems traditional with quite a few people, it's good to ponder the 
reasons for that, and the reason for the season, as it is said.

It's time for a break from these reasonings here, to get into some 
other reasonings.

So, listen to Handel's Messiah, ponder the reason for the season and 
enjoy yourself with friends, family, or just peace and quiet with 
yourself.

Merry Christmas to all.

______________________________________________________________________

HANDEL'S MESSIAH or ... ?

    "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the
    government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called
    Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father,
    Prince of Peace."

    "Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no
    end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom,
    establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness
    from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty
    will accomplish this." [1]

These verses, which remain with us today, unchanged, were written
over 2,600 years ago. The first part announced the birth of one who
would come, and did over 1,900 years ago, whom the world has
remembered and celebrated for over a thousand years -- that
celebration being called Christmas. Handel's Messiah, first
performed in 1742, puts gloriously to music what we read in those
verses.

The second part will commence, at that instant in history upon the
return of that very same one, known as "Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty
God, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace", and thereby establish
his direct and physical worldwide reign, by his own hand and none
other, "from that time on and forever." [2]

At that time and moment it will be said, "The kingdom of the world
has become the kingdom of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He will
reign forever and ever." [3]

"Today" is the appointed time for each one who hears and
understands, to individually prepare for that time. "... God again
set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke
through David, as was said before: 'Today, if you hear his voice, do
not harden your hearts.'" [4]

But rather, that --

      "... if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and
      believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you
      will be saved.
      For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified,
      and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." [5]

This, therefore, is the original, true and everlasting message of
the season named "Christmas". As will always be true throughout the
ages, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." [6]

And the heavenly host said, "Glory to God in the highest, and on
earth peace, good will toward men." [7]

Happy Holidays to All.

--

[1] Isaiah 9:6,7 (NIV)
[2] Isaiah 9:7 (NIV)
[3] Revelation 11:15 (NIV)
[4] Hebrews 4:7 (NIV)
[5] Romans 10:9,10 (NIV)
[6] Hebrews 13:8 (NIV)
[7] Luke 2:14 (KJV)

Scripture quoted by permission. Quotations designated (NIV) are from
THE HOLY BIBLE: NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978,
1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan
Publishing House. All rights reserved.

David Hindman, Copyright © 1997, 1998, 1999. All rights reserved.
Permission granted to distribute, in full only, with complete
attribution. Questions to [email-masked].

______________________________________________________________________

--

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven