Subject: RE: [Raven] IP: Russia spies on its own people

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:31:48 +0200

> An auditable tapping standard is definitely needed.

 - And why exactly would Russian law enforcement start
using your 'auditable tapping' standard, if they already 
have this easier system (and also their government and 
legistlation allows them to use non-auditable taps)?

 - As strong as possible end-to-end encryption is definitely
needed! (BTW. Notice how even USA is loosening its export 
restrictions for strong cryptographic SW/HW... Quite contrary
to you 'predictions'...).

 Just my personal opinions,
Janne H.

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven

---

From: "chefren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:02:13 +0100

> legistlation allows them to use non-auditable taps)?

The use of the auditable standard should be demanded by the 
international community.

Unauditable taps are clearly unacceptable in the light of 
basic human rights.

> needed!

It's there, where are you asking for? If people think they 
need it they can use it, big majority doesn't use it, they 
think the net is secure enough.

>(BTW. Notice how even USA is loosening its export 
> restrictions for strong cryptographic SW/HW...

I think that's a small bubble compared to the entering big 
wave of non-techies that want a world with checks and 
balances.

>  Quite contrary to you 'predictions'...).

Contrary to a strange explanation of my 'predictions", I 
have never argued stong encryption isn't valuable or not 
necessary. I only argue for regulation of strong encryption 
since free use would allow places to hide for organized 
crime.

+++chefren

---

From: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:09:59 +0100 (MET)

> The use of the auditable standard should be demanded by the 

Yeah, right.  They can start by implementing it in Grozny.

--Johnny

---

From: Ed Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:12:11 -0500

>The use of the auditable standard should be demanded by the

Chefren is asked "why exactly would Russian law start....". He answers, 
that an auditable standard "should be demanded by the international 
community."

Assuming for the moment that Chefren actually intended that answer to be 
responsive to the question, does anyone other than Chefren think that 
because a standard should be demanded, that the Russians would use it and 
be limited by it?

--
--------------------------
Ed Stone
[email-masked]
--------------------------