Subject: [Raven] US Electronic Surveillance efforts (and IETF)

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 13:32:51 -0500

FYI,
In the US, committee T1P1 currently has an ad-hoc working group set up to 
discuss packet mode electronic surveillance.  Their primary interest is 
wireless (since T1P1 deals primarily with wireless) but they are looking at 
other issues as well.

Committee T1S1 seems to be trying to set up an ad-hoc group to deal with 
this issue as well to work in conjunction with the T1P1 group.

TIA TR45.2 is continuing their work on a US "safe harbor" electronic 
surveillance standard.  They issued the first interim standard on this 
issue  (J-STD-025).  They are focusing primarily on the punch list that was 
identified in the FCC's last ruling.  This involves voice and certain 
supplementary services.

In addition, PacketCable is defining specs for electronic surveillance for 
packet-mode voice.  These may be release to the public, but I can't say for 
sure.  If anyone else knows for sure, they can post.

These efforts are basically focused on delivering either "call identifying 
information" or the whole data stream to an LEA (Law Enforcement 
Agency).  The definition of "call identifying information" is a little 
fuzzy when it comes to IP.

US standards groups are defining standards for packet mode electronic 
surveillance.  They do not care whether or not the IETF does anything.   It 
is my guess that other countries will do the same.  Since IETF is an 
international organization it would be difficult to deal with every 
country. Could our friends from other parts of the globe describe the work 
going on in their countries/regions?

Thanks,
Chip

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.			
--------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven