Subject: [rddp] RDDP draft update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:40:32 -0500

Jim Pinkerton wrote (about the new version of the RDDP security draft):

> I would appreciate it if anyone has time to do a full review. I am
> planning on doing a careful full read through and submitting minor
> revisions after the blackout period (like fixing the TBD reference).

I'm about to upset that plan.  I've communicated with our AD (still Jon
Peterson), and he intends to put the RDDP security and applicability drafts
on the March 16 IESG telechat agenda for approval.  Please send me the
details about the missing reference and anything else critical ASAP so
I can get them into an RFC Editor Note.  Anything else minor can be dealt
with during Authors 48 hours if the drafts are approved on March 16.

I'm also informing the authors of all other RDDP drafts (DDP, RDMAP,
MPA, SCTP) that I intend to start pushing hard for IESG approval of
these drafts shortly after the Dallas meetings (RDDP WG is not meeting)
once the new Transport ADs are in place and have sorted out their
responsibilities.  In order to get this done, I need draft authors to
understand a loose analogy between editing a draft during AD/IESG review/
approval and flying an airplane.  Pilots have described flying as
"hours of boredom followed by minutes of terror (when the plane has to
be landed)".  Getting these drafts through the IESG is going to be similar
- weeks when nothing happens followed by a sudden note from me explaining
what has to be done to the draft and by when.  In some cases, I may need
24-48 hour turnaround on small changes, but a week should be more typical.

Draft Authors - Make sure you can respond to this sort of short term
editing request over the next few months.  There will probably be at
least one more round of serious revisions due to our new AD reviewing
the drafts from scratch.  If any primary draft author cannot deal
with this sort of short-term editing request, I need to know that
*NOW* and we'll need to find a draft editor who can.  My intent is to
get all of these drafts approved for RFC Publication by the end of June,
but I need this level of responsiveness to editing requests to get
that done.

Thanks,
--David (RDDP WG Chair)
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp

---

From: "Jim Pinkerton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:36:13 -0800

Apologies for not catching this in the original submission. All
incomplete references are in Section 10.2, Informative References. Here
are the directions to the RFC editor:

Change this:
[APPLICABILITY] RDDP Applicability draft (TBD exact reference)

To:
[APPLICABILITY] Bestler, C. , Coene, L. "Applicability of Remote Direct
Memory Access Protocol (RDMA) and Direct Data Placement (DDP)",
Internet-Draft Work in Progress draft-ietf-rddp-applicability-05.txt,
December 2005.

Change: 
[INFINIBAND] TBD: exact reference.

To:
[INFINIBAND] "InfiniBand Architecture Specification Volume 1", release
1.2, InfiniBand Trade Association standard.
http://www.infinibandta.org/specs. Verbs are documented in chapter 11.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 6:41 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [rddp] RDDP draft update
> Importance: High
>