Subject: [rddp] Draft status report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:36:43 -0400

Here's a report on the status of our drafts, coming near the
end of the Montreal IETF meeting week:

The Security and Applicability drafts are close to approval.
There is one outstanding Discuss against the Security draft
that should be cleared shortly, and there are a number of
RFC Editor Notes that will appear as clarifications.

The RDMAP and DDP drafts are close to IETF Last Call.  The
remaining step is that the authors of the RDMAP draft need
to send a note to the list containing the comments that were
considered in the revision and how they were dealt with, ASAP.
The corresponding email for the DDP draft was:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rddp/current/msg02445.html

The SCTP draft is basically done, and is likely to go to IETF
Last Call with the RDMAP and DDP drafts.

The MPA draft is going to need another significant revision,
in accordance with what I explained in:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rddp/current/msg02442.html

I was able to talk to Joe Touch (the primary TCPM) reviewer,
and worked out an approach - the approach is documented in
these slides, which were used at the TCPM meeting today,
and engendered no objection:

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/tcpm-4.pdf

A couple of important notes that go with this approach:
- The Appendix is free to use whatever language is necessary
	to explain how to optimize MPA with TCP, but needs
	to avoid RFC 2119 requirements words (e.g., MUST,
	SHOULD).
- The Appendix needs to contain a sentence saying that if
	any of its implementation optimization guidance appears
	to contradict any of the RFCs that specify TCP, the
	TCP RFCs are the authority.
With that, MPA is essentially finished with Expert Review,
but does require fairly extensive revision.

I will work directly with the MPA draft authors on that revision
as there's a fair amount to be done, and it's important to get
it right, but the path forward is now clear.

Thanks,
--David (rddp WG chair) 
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp