Subject: [rddp] RDDP Last Calls (DDP & RDMAP) - which version of IPsec?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:18:44 -0400

An issue arose during IETF Last Call about which version
of IPsec should be specified for RDDP.  RDDP currently
requires IPsec as specified for iSCSI in RFC 3723, which
uses the older (RFC 2401-based) version of IPsec.  There
is a newer version of IPsec, based on RFC 4301, that was
brought up in some Last Call comments on DDP and RDMAP.

This issue has been resolved with the IETF Security Area
- use of RFC 3723 to provide the IPsec security requirements
for RDDP is fine, especially as RDDP is expected to be
applied to iSCSI in the early going.  When RFC 3723's
IPsec requirements are updated to the new version of IPsec,
that update will apply to everything that RFC 3723 applies
to, so that iSCSI and RDDP will move forward (wrt IPsec)
at the same time.

The following text needs to be added to the RDMAP and
DDP drafts, and will be added to the RDDP Security draft
via an RFC Editor Note:

   The IPsec requirements for RDDP are based on the version of
   IPsec specified in RFC 2401 [RFC 2401] and related RFCs, as
   profiled by RFC 3723 [RFC 3723], despite the existence of
   a newer version of IPsec specified in RFC 4301 [RFC 4301] and
   related RFCs.  One of the important early applications of the
   RDDP protocols is their use with iSCSI [iSER]; RDDP's IPsec
   requirements follow those of IPsec in order to facilitate
   that usage by allowing a common profile of IPsec to be used
   with iSCSI and the RDDP protocols.  In the future, RFC 3723
   may be updated to the newer version of IPsec, the IPsec
   security requirements of any such update should apply
   uniformly to iSCSI and the RDDP protocols.

[RFC 3723] should already be a normative reference.  Here
are the others (all informative) if they're needed:

[RFC 2401] S. Kent and R. Atkinson, "Security Architecture for
	the Internet Protocol," RFC 2401, November 1998.

[RFC 4301] S. Kent and K. Seo, "Security Architecture for
	the Internet Protocol," RFC 4301, December 2005.

[iSER] M. Ko, et. al., "iSCSI Extensions for RDMA Specification,"
	Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-ips-iser-05.txt, Work in Progress,
	October 2005.

There are some other Last Call comments on RDDP and DDP that
still need attention among the authors, reviewers, and yours
truly, but this issue is important enough to document on the
mailing list.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp