Subject: [rddp] Is DDP header requred?

From: "bbr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:26:16 -0400

DDP and RDMAP appear to provide conflicting information as to whether or not
a DDP header is required when DDP detects an invalid STAG.

Draft 07 of DDP in clause 7.1 states:

If the DDP layer detects any of the receive errors listed in this 

section, it MUST cease placing the remainder of the DDP Segment and 

report the error(s) to the ULP. The DDP layer SHOULD include in the 

error report the DDP Header, the type of error, and the length of 

the DDP segment, if available.  

Draft 07 or RDMAP in figure 10 for a DDP error places a "YES" in the column
that identifies the DDP header as being required.

The question is  "Does she or doesn't she".. Have to provide the DDP header?

Barry Reinhold

(603) 868-8411

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp

---

From: "Pat Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 18:53:49 -0700

As far as I recall, we made providing the header a "SHOULD" to allow for
extreme cases where ddp didn't have enough resources to save the header.
I.e. if ddp used a shared resource to save bad headers and had multiple
errors that exhausted that space. The RDMAP draft isn't specifying DDP
so the "SHOULD" in DDP should take precidence. 
 
The YES in the header column in RDMAP can be understood as informative
about the usual behavior (the SHOULD is normally followed) and not the
equivalent of a MUST.
 
Pat

________________________________

From: bbr [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 4:26 PM
To: RDDP
Subject: [rddp] Is DDP header requred?

DDP and RDMAP appear to provide conflicting information as to whether or
not a DDP header is required when DDP detects an invalid STAG.

Draft 07 or RDMAP in figure 10 for a DDP error places a "YES" in the
column that identifies the DDP header as being required.

The question is  "Does she or doesn't she".... Have to provide the DDP
header?

Barry Reinhold

(603) 868-8411

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>