Subject: [re-ECN] BoF Proposal for wider IETF

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 04:51:19 +0100

Folks,

Lars Eggert explained to me last night that we will need to provide 
text introducing the BoF - the text that will get advertised in the 
link from the IETF agenda (if the BoF is accepted).

The text we produced (that I made far too long) as a proposal to the 
Area Directors is not our final chance - that only gets used for the 
session when the ADs decide which BoFs to accept (14 Sep). So the 
work on a concise problem statement could be used for this too.

It's probably best if someone else does this text - I'm obviously 
rubbish at being concise.

Volunteers?

Bob

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,               Networks Research Centre, BT Research

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:09:47 +0300

Hi,

> link from the IETF agenda (if the BoF is accepted).

you need to have submitted a BOF proposal by the deadline. See  
RFC5434, Section 2, Step 5.

> session when the ADs decide which BoFs to accept (14 Sep).

It *is* your final chance in the sense that if that doesn't convince  
the IESG/IAB that we should schedule the BOF, there is no second chance.

What I said yesterday is that once you've passed that hurdle (getting  
a slot), you are then obviously free to further tune the material in  
preparation of the actual BOF.

Lars

---

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 06:45:47 +0100

Lars,

>the IESG/IAB that we should schedule the BOF, there is no second chance.

SOrry - my bad words...

Of course - I meant "not our final chance [to produce material for 
wider IETF]". And yes, of course, it depends whether the IESG approve 
it. So I also should have said,
"I propose we work on text optimistically, and if we don't get 
accepted we will have wasted a little of our time, but otherwise 
we'll be in good shape early."

Bob