Subject: [re-ECN] FW: New Version Notification for draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-08

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:13:49 +0100

This update was just to keep the document alive during the BoF process... There is still a lot of work to do on this document if we do decide to adopt re-ECN as the solution to congestion exposure...

Toby

____________________________________________________________________ 
Toby Moncaster, Senior Researcher, Network Infrastructure Practise
B54/70 Adastral Park, Ipswich, IP53RE, UK.  +44 7918 901170 

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 30 September 2009 12:09
To: Moncaster,T,Toby,DER3 R
Cc: Briscoe,RJ,Bob,DER3 R; Jacquet,A,Arnaud,DER3 R; Smith,AP,Alan,DER3 R
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-08 

A new version of I-D, draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-08.txt has been successfuly submitted by T Moncaster and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp
Revision:	 08
Title:		 Re-ECN: Adding Accountability for Causing Congestion to TCP/IP
Creation_date:	 2009-09-30
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 51

Abstract:
This document introduces a new protocol for explicit congestion
notification (ECN), termed re-ECN, which can be deployed
incrementally around unmodified routers.  The protocol works by
arranging an extended ECN field in each packet so that, as it crosses
any interface in an internetwork, it will carry a truthful prediction
of congestion on the remainder of its path.  The purpose of this
document is to specify the re-ECN protocol at the IP layer and to
give guidelines on any consequent changes required to transport
protocols.  It includes the changes required to TCP both as an
example and as a specification.  It briefly gives examples of
mechanisms that can use the protocol to ensure data sources respond
correctly to congestion,and these are described more fully in a
companion document [I-D.briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-motivation].

Authors' Statement: Status (to be removed by the RFC Editor)

Although the re-ECN protocol is intended to make a simple but far-
reaching change to the Internet architecture, the most immediate
priority for the authors is to delay any move of the ECN nonce to
Proposed Standard status.  The argument for this position is
developed in Appendix E.

Changes from previous drafts (to be removed by the RFC Editor)

Full diffs from all previous verisons (created using the rfcdiff
tool) are available at <http://www.bobbriscoe.net/pubs.html#retcp>

From -07 to -08 (current version):

Minor changes and consistency checks.

References updated.

From -06 to -07:

Major changes made following splitting this protocol document from

the related motivations document

[I-D.briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-motivation].

Significant re-ordering of remaining text.

New terminology introduced for clarity.

Minor editorial changes throughout.

The IETF Secretariat.