Subject: [re-ECN] contribution to congestion = congestion-volume

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:13:04 +0100

Folks,

How about this for useful non-technical phrase for congestion-volume 
that encapsulates its meaning: "contribution to congestion".

The subject of the sentence needs to be included to disambiguate it, 
but it can be used for either of the dual uses of congestion-volume:
- too much traffic: app, user, customer, site or network from which 
traffic arrives;
- too little capacity: link or network in which congestion occurs.
And the duration over which it is measured needs to be given.

It's important to distinguish congestion [%] from contribution to 
congestion [byte], not least because they have different units.

Thoughts?

Bob

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                                BT Innovate & Design

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:46:37 +0100

I quite like "contribution to congestion", but it would be nice to make
it clearer that this is something that can actually be measured. I would
also like somewhere to get across to people that this is something that
impacts everyone on the network, sort of "impact on others".

The one thing I am very keen to avoid is equating this to CO2 since the
whole point of congestion is that it is transitory - once the traffic
goes so does the congestion...

Toby

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Bob Briscoe
> Sent: 01 October 2009 11:13
> To: re-ECN unIETF list
> Subject: [re-ECN] contribution to congestion = congestion-volume
> 
> Folks,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> re-ECN mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/re-ecn

---

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:26:41 +0100

Toby,

At 09:46 06/10/2009, [email-masked] wrote:
>it clearer that this is something that can actually be measured.

That could be done in supporting sentences - e.g. just saying 
"contribution to congestion" can be measured as congestion-volume.

>I would

Well, not everyone on the network, just everyone experiencing 
congestion. Again that can be said in supporting words.

Commonly people talk about "a network being congested". We need to 
explain that rarely happens. That's like saying a country's whole 
road system is congested.

Bob

>goes so does the congestion...

Understood.

Bob

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:33:46 +0100

> From: Briscoe,RJ,Bob,XVR9 BRISCORJ R
> Sent: 06 October 2009 10:27
> To: Moncaster,T,Toby,DEE1 R
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [re-ECN] contribution to congestion = congestion-volume
> 
> Toby,
> 

So we need to start talking about "experiencing congestion" or
"experiencing periods of congestion". And in fact borrowing from another
post on the list, you want there to be just enough congestion in the
network to allow you to bump along the edge of the cliff where things
are most optimal for both user and provider...