Subject: [re-ECN] Getting the CONEX BoF off the ground -- Agenda, Announcement

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:50:54 -0400

Hi,

Phil & I, as your newly-minted BoF co-chairs, touched base earlier 
today.  It seems to us that the key things to get done this week, in 
order to get the BoF finalized, are:

1/ Agreed BoF Announcement text

There's already a good thread of discussion on the text -- so this is 
just a further reminder for people to engage in that discussion, and 
we'll look to close it by the end of the week.  (Unless Lars says he 
needs it earlier?).

2/ Finalize a draft agenda

I think we're mostly there -- here's the draft agenda as discussed to date:

  5 mins     administrivia
  5 mins     introduction by chairs
40 mins     the problem
         context/motivation
         technical problem
20 mins     constraints  [ <-- renamed from "requirements"]
20 mins     towards a solution
         overview of re-ECN
         demonstration?
20 mins     draft charter discussion
10 mins     questions and hums

The remaining question is the "demonstration".   I've previously 
outlined my personal concerns with having a live demonstration, and let 
me outline here some thoughts as co-chair on what I believe we want from 
that line item on the agenda:

There are 2 key questions that should be on peoples' minds at that point 
in the meeting:  does this proposal actually produce useful results in 
handling traffic (and, if so, what are they)?; is it implementable?

I actually believe this technology discussion has enough momentum that 
the second question is not a hugely serious issue here.  It certainly 
could be handled with "and there will be a demonstration available at 
time X, location Y" outside the BoF itself.

So, how do we best, in the limited time of a BoF, address the first 
point of clear illustration?  I'm positing that it can be well handled 
with a presentation of some set slides of data/illustration.

I don't think it is nearly as effective to run a demonstration (however 
pretty the pictures it might generate), because it takes time to get 
from one set of parameters to another and make sure that everyone in the 
room is actually tracking what is happening in real time.  Or:  doing a 
demo right could be a huge time sink, and it isn't clear what it gives 
over canned illustrations (and the promise of a demo elsewhere, if 
available).

So -- can we get a "yea" for slideware illustration of the technology on 
the BoF agenda, demo available elsewhere/when if the logistics get 
worked out with the local network?

Thanks,
Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------