Subject: [re-ECN] New Problem Statement Document

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:20:33 +0300

Hi all, 

Toby asked for input regarding the problem statement document and here
is our input. Alissa and I have tried to produce a short document, see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tschofenig-conex-ps-00, that aims to
avoid going too much into the solution space. 

Our approach was the following: 

* capture what the problem is (i.e., high traffic consumption by a very
small number of users causes problems for operators)
* briefly describe what is being done by operators today to deal with
that problem
* point to some other related ongoing activities in the IETF that the
reader might want to be interested in. 
* conclude with an outlook of what is difficult to do with the tools
available today

Ciao
Hannes

PS: When working on the document I was wondering why a problem statement
document is actually needed at all given that most of proponents are
only interested in a very specific solution. The case seems to be a bit
similar to LEDBAT.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:37:09 +0100

Hannes & Alissa,

Thanks for your doc, I've added it to the wiki
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/tsv/trac/wiki/re-ECN 

Best wishes,
phil

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)
Sent: 21 October 2009 08:21
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [re-ECN] New Problem Statement Document

Hi all, 

Ciao
Hannes

PS: When working on the document I was wondering why a problem statement
document is actually needed at all given that most of proponents are
only interested in a very specific solution. The case seems to be a bit
similar to LEDBAT. 
_______________________________________________
re-ECN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/re-ecn

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:02:22 +0000

We revised it on Monday:

> A new version of I-D, draft-tschofenig-conex-ps-01.txt has been  
> successfuly submitted by Hannes Tschofenig and posted to the IETF  
> repository.
>
> Filename:	 draft-tschofenig-conex-ps
> Revision:	 01
> Title:		 Congestion Exposure Problem Statement
> Creation_date:	 2009-10-26
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 18
>
> Abstract:
> The increasingly ubiquitous availability of broadband, together with
> flat-rate pricing, have made the use of new kinds of peer-to-peer
> applications increasingly common.  From the perspective of the
> Internet's evolution and its contributions to end user value, this is
> very exciting.  However, the uptick in peer-to-peer application usage
> has also contributed to the rise of "high-consuming users" who take
> their flat-rate contracts to the limit by continuously file-sharing
> to the maximum extent possible.  Network operators have responded to
> this phenomenon in a number of different fashions.
>
> This document discusses the problems created for operators by high-
> consuming users and illustrates a number of techniques operators are
> currently using to cope with high bandwidth usage.
>
>
>
> The IETF Secretariat.

Cheers,
Alissa

On Oct 21, 2009, at 10:37 AM, <[email-masked]> <[email-masked] 
 > wrote: