Subject: [recipe] Recipe Bar BOF

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:00:16 -0700

Hi all--

  I dropped in at December 2007 IETF to talk about energy and IT networks.
While I still work on that topic, my greatest interest currently is 
"building networks"
of ALL energy-using devices in residential and commercial buildings.
  A current fad in the energy arena is the "smart grid".  I believe it 
critical
to define the grid as ending at the meter, and to have building networks 
that
manage things inside buildings, with just a few well-defined interfaces that
cross the meter. 
  How we network the "real world" of buildings is ultimately quite complex,
and my proposal is to eventually create a sibling of the IETF for building
networks for this purpose.  I also think that we should focus on the 
functionality
of how energy-relevant devices deliver services to people, and see reducing
energy use as a nice side-benefit of this.  I think we will do more for 
energy
efficiency by focusing primarily on functionality than we would if energy
were the prime goal.

  I'm looking forward to Wednesday evening.

--Bruce

-- 
Bruce Nordman
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
[email-masked] -- 510-486-7089
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman