Subject: [regext] draft minutes from IETF98 meetings

From: "James Galvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 09:27:22 -0400

Here are the draft minutes from our meetings in IETF98.  Thanks to 
Alexander Mayrhofer for doing this for us.

Please review and post comments to the list.  We will post them to the 
proceedings next Friday, 14 April 2017.

Antoin and Jim

———— Minutes Begin

REGEXT @ IETF98
===============

~40 people in the room.

Adam Roach is our incoming AD, and briefly introduces himself. Jim
Galvin opens the meeting, Antoin Verschuren as the second Co-Chair is
remote. Jim presents the note well. Alex Mayrhofer doing minutes,
Stephane Bortzmeyer doing the Jabber scribe.

Jim requests people to review the documents, as quality of the drafts
depends on that.

Published documents: RFC 8056 (RDAP status mapping) plus RFC 8063 (Key 
Relay)

Ulrich Wisser is the document Shepherd for Launch Phase, the draft is
ready for WGLC.

Review of the working session on monday - RDAP:
-----------------------------------------------

Scott Hollenbeck

Scott: Individual submissions created to address functional gaps in 
RDAP.

RDAP-OpenID: (OpenID Connect + OAuth based authentication for
RDAP). Might "bake" document a little bit longer before asking for
consideration as a WG document.

RDAP-Object-Tag: Adds "handle" style object identifiers to RDAP,
similar to what RIRs are doing.

RDAP-Search-Regex: Uses base64-encoded regex in URL, as regex is not
URL safe. Was discussed on Monday.  IPR-Disclosure is attached to this
document.

Jim: Going to register these in the IANA extensions registry?
Scott: Not yet, maybe once the docs proceed

Some discussion about the interaction of technical standards and 
policies

EPP Fees Extension
-------------------

Roger Carney

Great working session on monday, plus a few followup-threads on the
mailing list.

Availability: Consensus is that a check command without fee extension
for a "premium" name would return "unavailable"

Kal Feher: Concerned about this availability interpretation, since
this would indicated a name that was available is now "unavailable".
Alex: Premium names were "reserved" before migration, so they were
already "unavailable", on a meta level we should reduce ambigiuity in
our specifications.

Document is still work-in-progress

Reseller-Extension / Reseller-ID - Jim Gould
---------------------------------------------

Jim reports on the options - looks for use cases of the "generic
organization" path - privacy proxy was mentioned in addition to
resellers.

Scott: Draft on the alternative proposal of "organization" would be
great. Working with Antoine and others to see to create one.

Ulrich: We don't even have a "registrar", why do we need a "reseller"?
Jim: "registrar" is stored in the registry in other way, "reseller"
currently doesn't exist.

Discussion about the "policy" side: Francisco states that the
"reseller id" is an optional field in the Consistent Labelling &
Display policy

Niels ten Oever: Privacy Considerations should be applied to this
document, would be happy to work with Jim on that.

DNSoperator-to-RR protocol - Jaques Latour
------------------------------------------

Discussion on monday about the RDAP-discoverability of the API. Plus
discussion about the CDS record itself.

Need to find a new term for the "actor" that runs the API and has the
position to update the DS in the registry.

Stephane: What is the connection to RDAP or EPP (for group scope)?
Jaques explain the connections and the API structure

Jody: Would that allow DS passing when the registrar does not allow 
DNSSEC?
Jaques: Either the registrar or the registry could run this.

Matt Pounsett: Provides the technical capabilities, but depends on
adoption by registrar/registry

Jim Galvin: Expects updates on the last 4 documents.

Draft-gould-regext-dataset - Jim Gould
--------------------------------------

DSF -> "Data Set File"

Meta-Date/Type in header, plus CSV data in body

Extensible to support other objects and fields

Bulk operations are the prime use case for this.

Alex: Clarification that this is not to be passed within EPP

regext-rdap-domain-availability - Andrew Newton
------------------------------------------

Two new query parameters "availabilityCheck=1" / 
"availabilityInformation=1"

Jim Gould: Believe that RDAP is not the place for this - it is an
"information" service, not availability

Kal: Concerned about adding the full logic of "availability"

Andy: No need to use the same server for this - specify a different 
endpoint

Jim: We would be better off to specifically design something suited to
availability, rather than "adapting"

Andy: What's missing?

Jim: Multiple names, REST (or something even more light weight?)

??: Another option would be to list "alternatives" when a domain name
is unavailable

Not asking for adoption as this point in time.

Escrow Documents - Gustavo Lozano
---------------------------------

Gustavo explains background of the documents - XML and CSV formats

Jim Galvin: Relation to DSF by Jim?

Jim Gould: Similar approach, but different purposes and data contents.

Discussion around scope of WG - if we would adopt this, we would need
to update the charter.

Jim: Sense of the room for adopting those?

Most are in favour of adoption, but that will not be executed

Milestones discussion
---------------------

First meeting where we had more than 4 "active" documents - 7 this time.

Alex: Concerned that we adopt too many documents and never get them 
done.

Scott: Consider RFC7942 - not a big fan of adopting and pushing them
to the back.

Jim: This is also the place of discussions around the IANA extensions.

Three actions:

1) Escrow documents: Revive them, add an implementation status section.

2) Revisit the current list of extensions, and consider whether they
need to be standards track.

3) Poke individuals to push or not on document progress, maybe
withdraw documents.

Then prioritize things, extensions / documents which have traction

Contact Postal info elements - Jim Gould
----------------------------------------

Two posts to list related to update / remove of postal info elements.

Questions about the process - would the proposal update base EPP RFCs?

Scott: Intention of the author of base RFCs was that "chg" means 
"replace"!

Jim: Will post this to the list, and then ask other registries for 
input.

AoB
---

Feedback to working sessions: Generally good, Logistics was not
optimal (room size). AD is positive about 2 slots again next time
again. Jim: Have meetings closer to each other?

Regiops: Happening in Madrid on May 12 2017.

Meeting adjourns at 14:52.

---

From: "James Galvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 09:47:47 -0400

With additional spelling correct, changed “Antoine” to “Antoin”, 
the minutes below have been submitted to the proceedings.

Thanks again to Alexander Mayrhofer for preparing the summary.

Antoin and Jim