Subject: Re: [regext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-regext-epp-fees-01.txt

From: Patrick Mevzek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 02:17:19 +0200

Gould, James <[email-masked]> 2017-03-06 21:26
> i. I assume that not specifying the period matches the period that is defined for the object mapping.  In the case of a domain name, the default period would be 1 year for the create, renew, and transfer commands.  The restore would not support a period, since it is a fixed fee, so there are commands where the period would not be allowed.

I do not agree with "the default period whould be 1 year".
The default number of years should not be part of the protocol, since it is a
policy item. Some registries may wish, specially at launch time, to
use 2 years or 5 years as default period.

So, please do not hardcode any value in the protocol, and for example
use the same phrasing as the one used in RFC5731 :
 An OPTIONAL <domain:period> element that contains the initial
      registration period of the domain object.  A server MAY define a
      default initial registration period if not specified by the
      client.

-- 
Patrick Mevzek

---

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 06:53:40 +0000

>       default initial registration period if not specified by the

+1

I would even go a step further, and ask the Authors to define that the default for the "period" element in the fee extension MUST be identical to the server defined "domain:period" value.

Anything else would be highly confusing to the registrar.

best,
Alex