Subject: [regext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-brown-whoami-00.txt

From: Gavin Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:08:44 +0000

(apologies to those who receive multiple copies due to cross-posting)

Dear colleagues,

As you will probably be aware, the EU's General Data Protection
Regulation (GDPR) comes into force in May next year. This has forced
domain registries and registrars to reassess their approach to data
collection, retention, and disclosure - particuarly in regard to Whois/RDAP.

Having thought about this topic for a little while, it occurred to me
that there might be some benefit in a "straw man" proposal for how
centralised databases of registration data might be avoided. So I wrote
this Internet-Draft which describes a simple decentralised alternative
to Whois/RDAP directories.

Obviously it is far from a perfect solution, but I have yet to think of
any criticism of it that does not equally to Whois/RDAP as they
currently exist. So I have published my draft for feedback.

Flame on!

G.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-brown-whoami-00.txt
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 06:02:07 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: Gavin Brown <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-brown-whoami-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Gavin Brown and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-brown-whoami
Revision:	00
Title:		A Method For Identifying a Domain Operator's Point of Contact
(WHOAMI)
Document date:	2017-12-19
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		7
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brown-whoami-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-brown-whoami/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-brown-whoami-00
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-brown-whoami-00

Abstract:
   This document proposes a decentralised alternative to traditional
   WHOIS directories.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Gavin Brown
Chief Technology Officer
CentralNic Group plc (LSE:CNIC)
Innovative, Reliable and Flexible Registry Services
for ccTLD, gTLD and private domain name registries
https://www.centralnic.com/

CentralNic Group plc is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number 8576358. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London,
EC2R 6AR.

---

From: Patrick Mevzek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:25:59 -0500

> currently exist. So I have published my draft for feedback.

What do you do for domain names that are registered but not technically
used, meaning no delegation in DNS?
In that case you can not publish URI records in their zone (except if
there is a way to have the registry publish it instead in its zone, like
it does for glues), nor having a webserver reply for the website under
this domain.

-- 
Patrick Mevzek