Subject: [regext] draft-ietf-eppext-idnmap: extending the <check> response

From: Gavin Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:55:17 +0000

Hi Francisco,

I came across an edge case that I think could be resolved with a change
to the idnmap extension, to extend the <check> response.

It involved a domain that was syntactically valid in both Chinese and
Japanese, but was not available for registration in Chinese as a variant
domain was already registered.

The server returned a <domain:name avail="1"> element in the <check>
response, because the domain was available to register in Japanese.

However, the client submitted a <create> command with the "zh" in the
<idn:table> element, and the server rejected the command.

Had the client submitted the <create> command with "ja" in the
<idn:table> element (or had it omitted the <idn:data> element
altogether) then the command would have succeeded.

In this situation, it would be useful for the server to be able to tell
the client what IDN tables a domain is valid in, so the client can
submit the right table in the <create> command. Here's a possible syntax
for this:

S:     <extension>
S:       <idn:chkData xmlns:idn="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:idn-1.0">
S:         <idn:cd>
S: 	     <idn:aname>xn--espaol-zwa.example.com</dn:aname>
S: 	     <idn:tables>
S: 	       <idn:table>latn</idn:table>
S: 	       <idn:table>es</idn:table>
S: 	     </idn:tables>
S: 	   </idn:cd>
S:       </idn:chkData>
S:     </extension>

What do you think?

-- 
Gavin Brown
Chief Technology Officer
CentralNic Group plc (LSE:CNIC)
Innovative, Reliable and Flexible Registry Services
for ccTLD, gTLD and private domain name registries
https://www.centralnic.com/

CentralNic Group plc is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number 8576358. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London,
EC2R 6AR.