Subject: [regext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-01.txt

From: Mario Loffredo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 10:06:32 +0200

Hi all,

I have reviewed the "Privacy Considerations" section to outline even 
more that reverse search must be provided only to authenticated and 
authorized users legitimated by a legal basis.

I hope from now on the WG can focus on the technical aspects.

I look forward to further reviews.

Cheers,
mario

-------- Messaggio Inoltrato --------
Oggetto: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-01.txt
Data: 	Thu, 11 Apr 2019 00:43:26 -0700
Mittente: 	[email-masked]
A: 	Maurizio Martinelli <[email-masked]>, Mario Loffredo 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Mario Loffredo and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search
Revision: 01
Title: Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) Reverse search capabilities
Document date: 2019-04-11
Group: regext
Pages: 10
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-01.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search/
Htmlized: 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-01
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search
Diff: 
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-01

Abstract:
The Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) does not include query
capabilities to find the list of domains related to a set of entities
matching a given search pattern. Even if such capabilities, commonly
referred as reverse search, respond to some needs not yet readily
fulfilled by the current Whois protocol, they have raised concerns
from two perspectives: server processing impact and data privacy.
Anyway, the impact of the reverse queries on RDAP servers processing
is the same as the standard searches and it can be reduced by
implementing policies to deal with large result sets, while data
privacy risks can be prevented by RDAP access control
functionalities. This document describes RDAP query extensions that
allow clients to request a reverse search based on the domains-
entities relationship.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 08:57:21 +1000

Do you consider the case where I ask for reverse/inverse indexed
references between objects which do *NOT* expose PII as ones which
demand authentication and access control?

the model of inverse-indexes is not limited to ones which return PII.
The problem is that where it does involve PII it has problems.

in WHOIS RPSL, there are many reverse-index fields. They aren't all
about person object indexing.

-George

---

From: Mario Loffredo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 16:36:07 +0200

Hi George,

Many thanks for your feedback.

My comments are inline.

> demand authentication and access control?

No. I have only gone into detail of the classic reverse search scenario 
even if the draft mentions other kind of reverse searches.

The same model described for domains could also be applied to both 
entities and nameservers without changing anything else in current RDAP 
status.

Other reverse searches based on the relationships  between entities and 
other objects (i.e. ip and aunum) would require the introduction of 
additional search paths.

> about person object indexing.

Basically, the proposal described by the draft doesn't overcome the 
constraints set by RFC7482 and RFC7483.

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestion to make the proposed model more 
generic and applicable in other contexts.

Cheers,

mario

> -George
>
> _______________________________________________
> regext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/regext

-- 
Dr. Mario Loffredo
Servizi Internet e Sviluppo Tecnologico
CNR - Istituto di Informatica e Telematica
via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 PISA, Italy
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +39.0503153497
Web: http://www.iit.cnr.it/mario.loffredo