Subject: [regext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-03.txt

From: Mario Loffredo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:43:42 +0200

Hi all,

this new version requires RDAP servers to include the "unicodeName" 
field in the "id" fieldSet when a domain or a nameserver is an IDN. This 
change makes the defintion of the "id" field set compliant with the 
submission of a search query returning IDNs.

There are two open issues raised by Tom Harrison. I have already replied 
to Tom from my side but I would like to know the WG's opinion.

I report them here in the following:

1) Including a self-link in the id field set
Tom's proposal is aimed to save clients from having to re-build a lookup 
query when they want further details for a subset of the returned 
ojects. It might be useful for a human even if the rationale of the "id" 
field set is to provide the list of object identifiers which, in most 
cases, are the only result set information desired by the user. The 
alternatives could be either delegating the self-link rendering to the 
clients or letting the servers to implement an additional field set 
(e.g. "extendedId")  which extends the "id" field set with the self-link.

2) Returning a partial response to a lookup query
My opinion is that partial response makes less sense for lookup queries 
because the result set is small. It's easier and more flexible for the 
user/client to select the desired fields from the full response rather 
than to request for a specific subset. I guessed that partial response 
could be useful for a client submitting a large set of concurrent lookup 
queries, provided that this scenario agrees with the server search rate 
limits. But, on the other hand, any lookup response should contain the 
"subsetting_metadata" field.

Thanks in advance,
mario

-------- Messaggio Inoltrato --------
Oggetto: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-03.txt
Data: 	Wed, 31 Jul 2019 01:35:41 -0700
Mittente: 	[email-masked]
A: 	Maurizio Martinelli <[email-masked]>, Mario Loffredo 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by Mario Loffredo and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response
Revision: 03
Title: Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) Partial Response
Document date: 2019-07-30
Group: regext
Pages: 13
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-03.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response/
Htmlized: 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-03
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response
Diff: 
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-03

Abstract:
The Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) does not include
capabilities to request partial responses. In fact, according to the
user authorization, the server can only return full responses.
Partial responses capability, especially in the case of search
queries, could bring benefits to both clients and servers. This
document describes an RDAP query extension that allows clients to
specify their preference for obtaining a partial response.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat