Subject: [regext] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-regext-login-security-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 10:34:57 -0800

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-regext-login-security-07: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-login-security/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps some simple questions (apologies if I'm missing something obvious):
since there is no registry of custom events, how do developers of independent
implementations know which custom events they should be aiming to support? And
how do they understand the semantics associated with custom events beyond what
the event names can convey?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

= Section 5 =

"One schema is presented here that is the EPP Login Security Extension
   schema."

This phrasing seems a little odd (is there more than one schema?). I would
suggest "The EPP Login Security Extension schema is presented here."

---

From: "Gould, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 20:29:22 +0000

Alissa,

Thank you for your review and comments.  I answer your question below.

-- 
 
JG

James Gould
Distinguished Engineer
[email-masked] <applewebdata://13890C55-AAE8-4BF3-A6CE-B4BA42740803/[email-masked]>

703-948-3271
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

Verisign.com <http://verisigninc.com/>

On 1/21/20, 1:34 PM, "Alissa Cooper via Datatracker" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    

JG - The custom security event is following an EPP extensibility pattern that has been used in prior EPP RFCs (e.g., Launch Phases in RFC 8334, Contact Types in RFC 8543, Operations in RFC 8590).  The definition of the custom events can take many forms, such as inclusion in a server policy document or use of an in-band policy query interface.  The EPP policy extension draft-gould-regext-login-security-policy is an example of an EPP query interface for draft-ietf-regext-login-security. 

    = Section 5 =

    
   JG - I like your suggested phrase better.  I'll make that change.

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 21:51:27 -0500

Thanks for the explanation. I cleared my DISCUSS.

Alissa

> On Jan 21, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Gould, James <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Alissa,
>