Subject: [regext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-12.txt> (Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) Partial Response) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 12:01:59 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Registration Protocols Extensions WG
(regext) to consider the following document: - 'Registration Data Access
Protocol (RDAP) Partial Response'
  <draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-08-14. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) does not include
   capabilities to request partial responses.  Servers will only return
   full responses that include all of the information that a client is
   authorized to receive.  A partial response capability that limits the
   amount of information returned, especially in the case of search
   queries, could bring benefits to both clients and servers.  This
   document describes an RDAP query extension that allows clients to
   specify their preference for obtaining a partial response.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:34:42 +0200

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 12:01:59PM -0700,
 The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote 

>   <draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

In section 7.1, a test bed is mentioned, but it is not publically available:

% curl  https://rdap.pubtest.nic.it/domains\?name=nic.it
{"errorCode":401,"title":"Unauthenticated users are not allowed to
submit the query"}

(Same answer for all variations under /domains. /domain works.)

---

From: Mario Loffredo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:10:21 +0200

Hi Stephane,

the .it RDAP server provides searches only to authenticated users. Only 
.it accredited registrars are able to search their own domains and contacts.

Cheers,

Mario

-- 
Dr. Mario Loffredo
Systems and Technological Development Unit
Institute of Informatics and Telematics (IIT)
National Research Council (CNR)
via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 PISA, Italy
Phone: +39.0503153497
Mobile: +39.3462122240
Web: http://www.iit.cnr.it/mario.loffredo

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 13:12:07 +0200

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 12:10:21PM +0200,
 Mario Loffredo <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 35 lines which said:

> the .it RDAP server provides searches only to authenticated users.

Yes, but I was interested in the test bed (which hosts only a subset
of the data). Also closed?

---

From: Mario Loffredo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 13:26:53 +0200

Hi Stephane,

> of the data). Also closed?

Unfortunately, yes. For a couple of reasons:

1) At .it, we use the public test environment as a clone of the live 
environment but based on test data. Having a different behaviour between 
the two servers could be misleading and could make the registrars think 
erroneously that they would be allowed to search all domains on the live 
server too.

2) We can't exclude that some registrars may have used live data on the 
test environment.

Best,

Mario

> _______________________________________________
> regext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/regext