Subject: Re: [regext] Contact Postal Info Elements Proposal

From: "Thomas Corte (TANGO support)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 12:41:00 +0100

Hello,

On 3/31/17 17:24, Gould, James wrote:

> ...
> 
> Thanks for the response.  My feedback is embedded below.  I’ve updated
> the proposal based on your feedback:
> 
> 1.          The <contact:chg> sub-elements do have replace semantics 
> 
> a.            Existing sub-element data deleted first and then set with
> updated data.
> 
> b.            This includes the <contact:postalInfo>, <contact:voice>,
> <contact:fax>, <contact:email>, <contact:authInfo>, and the
> <contact:disclose> elements.
> 
> c.            Servers with special policies regarding contact data
> modifications should check the new data for any actual changes in
> relevant fields.
> 
> 2.          The typed <contact:postalInfo> elements (“int” or “loc”) are
> treated independently
> 
> a.            Exclusion of a <contact:postalInfo> type (“int” or “loc”)
> does not implicitly delete it
> 
> 3.          The typed <contact:postalInfo> element (“int” or “loc”) is
> deleted explicitly via an empty element
> 
> a.            <contact:postalInfo type=”int”/> or <contact:postalInfo
> type=”loc”/>
> 
> b.            The same applies to deleting the voice or the fax via an
> empty element (<contact:voice/> or <contact:fax/>)

Sorry to pick up this discussion from three years ago, but I was
wondering: has this language ever made it into an "official" IETF
publication? It's not in RFC 5733, and there's no successor for RFC 5733
either. Currently, the only way to find this online is via this mailing
list's archive.

I'm asking because, as a registrar, we're still seeing lots of different
contact update implementations in the wild, and even larger registries
seem to be struggling with getting this right.

Best regards,

Thomas Corte

-- 
TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES® is a product of:
Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
Technologiepark                             Phone: +49 231 9703-222
Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9                       Fax: +49 231 9703-200
D-44227 Dortmund                       E-Mail: [email-masked]
Germany