Subject: [regext] Use of Internationalized Email Addresses in EPP protocol: placeholder value

From: Dmitry Belyavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 14:47:36 +0200

Hello Regext,

First, many thanks to James for his presentation of the draft update.
As it was suggested, let's move the discussion to the ML.

As usual with EAI, we have a chicken-and-egg problem. I agree with Ulrich,
that using a placeholder instead of a regular address doesn't leave a
Registry any option to communicate with a domain administrator via email.
But enforcing the domain administrator using a valid ASCII address
effectively stops it from moving to EAI. So placeholder is implied to be a
temporary measure until EAI is not widely supported. I understand that the
support of EAI will be different in different CC TLDs, but I think it's
worth supporting such addresses in the GTLDs.

I agree that the question is about the intersection of the technical
aspects (where it's reasonable to provide the placeholder to make the
object created), legal stuff (where the valid address may be required) and
policy stuff (that imply the EAI addresses should be treated as just email
addresses).

-- 
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

---

From: InterNetX - Marco Schrieck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 15:11:51 +0200

Hi All,

I am completely with Ulrich.

>From policy side and also from aspect of clean data. Using dummy values
in objects was always a bad idea.

And even in GTLD space, the registrar usually have requirements to
verify the contacts. So not only registry must support the EAI also the
registrar have to do it.

Regards
Marco

Am 02.08.21 um 14:47 schrieb Dmitry Belyavsky:
> As usual with EAI, we have a chicken-and-egg problem. I agree with
> Ulrich, that using a placeholder instead of a regular address doesn't
> leave a Registry any option to communicate with a domain administrator
> via email. But enforcing the domain administrator using a valid ASCII
> address effectively stops it from moving to EAI. So placeholder is
> implied to be a temporary measure until EAI is not widely supported. I
> understand that the support of EAI will be different in different CC
> TLDs, but I think it's worth supporting such addresses in the GTLDs.
> 
> object created), legal stuff (where the valid address may be required)
> and policy stuff (that imply the EAI addresses should be treated as just
> email addresses).
> 
> -- 
> SY, Dmitry Belyavsky
> 
> _______________________________________________
> regext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/regext
>

---

From: Dmitry Belyavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 15:17:57 +0200

Dear Marco,

> in objects was always a bad idea.

Yes. But, speaking about registries, not all of them are supposed to
contact the user via email (or in any other way).
The registrar in this case should have a real contactable address.

> verify the contacts. So not only registry must support the EAI also the

Yes. But, if a registrar can't access the registrant via EAI email, the
registrant will be able to chose another registrar - of course, if the
registry supports such addresses.

-- 
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky