Subject: [regext] [check] <reason> always prohibited when avail="1" ?

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:01:11 +0200

RFC 5731 3.1.1 seems to clearly prevent a <reason> to be sent when
avail="1".

But RFC 9095 6.1.1 has an example with a <reason> for avail="1".

So, is it really forbidden to send a <reason> to the client when the
domain is available but you want to send some extra conditions?

---

From: "Thomas Corte (TANGO support)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:36:45 +0200

Hello,

> domain is available but you want to send some extra conditions?

Technically, it seems to me that the check response in RFC 9095 violates
RFC 5731 anyway, because it asks for returning check results in the check
response for domain names which were not present in the check command,
while RFC 5731 clearly requires the check response to contain "A
<domain:name> element that contains the fully qualified name of the
queried domain object."

Semantically, including a reason for a domain name's availability feels
pointless, and the authors of RFC 5731 seemingly thought so, too.
Most EPP clients won't expect a reason to be present for avail=1 and will
simply ignore it.

To me, using the <reason> element to add *conditions* that must be met
for the name to be available feels like a misuse of that element.

Best regards,

Thomas

-- 
TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES® is a product of:
Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
Technologiepark                             Phone: +49 231 9703-222
Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9                       Fax: +49 231 9703-200
D-44227 Dortmund                       E-Mail: [email-masked]
Germany