Subject: [regext] [Errata Verified] RFC7484 (5460)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 07:44:19 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC7484,
"Finding the Authoritative Registration Data (RDAP) Service". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5460

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Pieter Vandepitte <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2018-08-14
Verified by: Murray Kucherawy (IESG)

Section: 8

Original Text
-------------
      In the case of a domain object, the client may first query the DNS
      to see if the respective entry has been delegated or if it is
      mistyped information by the user.  The DNS query could be to fetch
      the NS records for the TLD domain.  If the DNS answer is negative,
      then there is no need to fetch the new version of the registry.
      However, if the DNS answer is positive, this may mean that the
      currently cached registry is no longer current.  The client could
      then fetch the registry, parse, and then do the normal matching as
      specified above.  This method may not work for all types of RDAP
      objects.

Corrected Text
--------------

Notes
-----
I would remove the whole section. The point is: if the DNS answer is positive, then you need to fetch the registry. But if the answer is negative, this does not mean anything because it it possible that a registered domain is not delegated.

--------------------------------------
RFC7484 (draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-11)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Finding the Authoritative Registration Data (RDAP) Service
Publication Date    : March 2015
Author(s)           : M. Blanchet
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Web Extensible Internet Registration Data Service
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG