Subject: [regext] Feedback about rdap-redacted doc

From: Mario Loffredo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:34:53 +0100

Hi James,

I have experienced the use case where multiple contacts have the same 
role but not all of them are redacted.

Hence, a JSONPath where redacted contacts are identified by filtering 
the enties only by role is not good.

Possible alternatives are:

- appending an index selector to indentify the redacted contacts among 
those having the same role (e.g. 
$.entities[?(@.roles[0]=='technical')][0]). This option seems to be 
allowed by jsonpath-base doc but I haven't yet found an online JSONPath 
evaluator supporting it. This make me think that libraries supporting 
JSONPath might not handle it at least presently.

- using only the index selector regardless of the role (e.g. 
$.entities[1]). This option is surely allowed and supported but doesn't 
convey the concept that redaction is applied depending on contact role.

Should this case be treated in Section 5 to provide guidance for 
implementers ?

Best,

Mario

-- 
Dr. Mario Loffredo
Technological Unit “Digital Innovation”
Institute of Informatics and Telematics (IIT)
National Research Council (CNR)
via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 PISA, Italy
Phone: +39.0503153497
Web: http://www.iit.cnr.it/mario.loffredo

---

From: "Gould, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 18:44:25 +0000

Mario,

I believe that your second option is the simpler one.  I agree that we should add an entry in section 5 "JSONPath Considerations" to address it.  How about the following entry?

When there are multiple entities with the same role, include "redacted" members for each entity using the entity index instead of the role. A JSONPath can be created that identifies the entity based on an index of a role selector nodelist, such as "$.entities[?(@.roles[0]=='technical')][0]" for the first entity with the "technical" role. Using the entity index, such as "$.entities[1]", is simpler and recommended.

Thanks,

-- 
 
JG

James Gould
Fellow Engineer
[email-masked] <applewebdata://13890C55-AAE8-4BF3-A6CE-B4BA42740803/[email-masked]>

703-948-3271
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

Verisign.com <http://verisigninc.com/>

On 2/16/22, 1:36 PM, "Mario Loffredo" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi James,

    Best,

    Mario

    Web: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1SxOvKw6g15LmY6njPdS9QRTbQjOZ_JQfpgJOiiHQLS4th-Mfh4q9-b0zbSrxRe0eSNRG0pYX1glGekgwQ5rHLOfD14MKql1oH_KnHjKTYL4xqqHyEtSUQ2CR6UQJ13sxpNPAjO8poFVpISFIOKI0zNU550AtbMU8weg7kqrdEBijIDjzuUkuOonSdtoiL0KaHV8SWKLsKAzc_ubJdxXP60tA0KDnrgBNstYEX2mU5bqhQM6zeOS-0sLErZk_K8Au/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iit.cnr.it%2Fmario.loffredo