Subject: [renum] Cheap and cheerful local DNS?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:45:08 +1300

A thought tha came to me during a discussion of why IPv6 ULAs
are a good, or bad, idea when you need internal services to have a fixed
address was this: would renumbering be easier if there was a
standardised cheap and cheerful local form of DNS that any site
could bring up to serve purely local names?

I know that this is not a new debate and that the idea of two-faced
DNS makes many people froth at the mouth, but the reality is that
the printer in my wife's study doesn't need to be in the global
DNS, and that existing hacks like .local are indeed hacks,
and RFC 4795 is link-local only.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:10:16 +0100

> and RFC 4795 is link-local only.

+1.
we need service discovery across the whole home network. and we need what we called in the homenet wg charter proposal "simple naming". i.e. local DNS.

cheers,
Ole