Subject: [renum] Moving ISPs for small v6 Networks.

From: Don Gould <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:49:34 +1300

Hello everyone,

I started a discussion on the nz v6 dev list and was asked to review RFC 
5587, join this list and present "real operational concerns"

As a way of introduction, I'd like to say that on the .nz list I am 
interested in presenting issues that I find are real world and outline 
them in a way so that other readers get a clear view of other people's 
knowledge base in .nz.  I expect the list expectations will be different 
here.

I confess I haven't yet reviewed the RFC but thought that I should make 
an introductory post on the issue so others are aware of the existence 
of interest in the issue.

If there are back posts on list that others think I would benefit from 
reading then plz feel free to mail links to the archive (where ever it 
is) off list so as not to clutter up the conversation for others - I 
respect I'm a new kid round here :)

D

------
17/12/2010 5:20 p.m

Ok, what's the deal with churning ips and loosing your number range?

v4 - pubIP --> 192.168.1.x - simple, the pub ip changes, nat on the 
router/modem/switch updates in seconds, the network just stays the same. 
  Even port forwarding/dmz for services has no impact.

v6 - ???

Issues...

With v6 I get that each machine will have pub ip.
I get that you'll run fw on the router to block incoming etc...
I get that we're going to use RA (not DHCP) so that each network device 
(nd's) grabs an ip from the router.
I get that in the event of a router failure the nd's will keep trucking 
with their assigned ips...

But what happens when I want to change the ISP?

With v4 I don't have to force new ips to the nd's.

What's the expectation on the nd's to grab a new ip and everything 
update so it can see it self again?

Is this going to be like web site transfers where you grab a udai and 
everything goes into 'bonkers' mode for 24-72 hours while ttls expire?

Why do I care?...

Two issues I'm considering:

1.  Changing ISPs because of a better deal...
2.  ISP break down - eg plug in a g3 modem while your cable/dsl/fibre is 
down so that ppl can still grab mail and some voip.

D