Subject: [Research-funding] updates research funding draft

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:30:35 +0200

I have seen that an update of the research funding document has been
posted as draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt. I am surprised to some
extend that the text produced by the NMRG for section 3.5. (and which
has been discussed and posted on the research-funding mailing list)
was not considered or was rejected without any feedback. Perhaps
this is an oversight? 

I have attached the latest version of "our" submission (which you 
should also find in the research-funding mailing list archive) and
I am looking forward to hear what you think about it.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:08:37 -0700

Juergen -

>was not considered or was rejected without any feedback. Perhaps

We apologize for not getting back to you earlier with feedback
out how NRMG's contribution on Network Management was and was
not incorporated into draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt.
We thank you for your contribution.  It was taken into account
in the revision of the document, even though it was not used
directly.

There were several reasons for not using the NMRG text directly:

* We did not want the section on Network Management to be
disproportionately large relative to the rest of the document; 

* We received input on the Network Management section from people
other than the NMRG, including another proposal for a complete
rewrite of that section (which we also did not use in its entirety).
We retained editorial control for that section (as well as the rest
of the document) in the IAB.

The new version, draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt, is being submitted
for IETF Call for Input before becoming an Informational RFC, so there
is also room for additional feedback.

Here is a summary of what the current draft,
draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt, did and did not incorporate from
the contribution by the NMRG:

* The intro to Section 3.5 has text about operators' needs not
being met.

* The subection on "Managing Networks, Not Devices" includes much
of the text from the NMRG contribution.

* The subsection on "Enhanced Monitoring Capabilities" includes some of
the additions from the NRMG text, but does not include the
sentence about some implementations showing inaccuraties (as not
appropriate for this document).

* The subsection on Autonomous Network Management, originally from
draft-iab-research-funding-01.txt, was deleted from
draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt in the interests of shortening
the Network Management section.

* The subsection on "Configuration Management", originally from
draft-iab-research-funding-01.txt, was also deleted in the interests of
shortening the Network Management section.

* The new material in the NRMG's subsection on "Customer Network
Management" is the last paragraph, and this material was not included.
Some of that paragraph is more detailed than is needed for this
document, in terms of the specific needs of customer network
management mechanisms.

* The first paragraph of the NMRG section on Analysis of Current
Management Protocol Usage has been incorporated into the last
paragragh of Section 3.5.3 of draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt,
though not in those exact words.  The last sentence of the NRMG
section, on "One way to research this issue", was also not included
in draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt, as too detailed for this
document.

My apologies also for the delay in responding to your email from last
week - I was slowed down considerably by a cold...

- Sally

_______________________________________________
Research-funding mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/research-funding

---

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:11:20 -0700

[Apologies for the duplicate, but I forgot to cc Ran the first time...]

Juergen -

- Sally