Subject: [Revampers] Tried adding an event page

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 17:25:57 -0500

Ged, all:

I tried adding an Event page for the codesprint at this next IETF.

Seemed intuitive enough. I originally hung it off the main page (which 
is what naturally happened), then worked out in reverse where the IETF94 
event page was sitting and moved it there (which seemed to kick in the 
gears that caused other pages to take content from the one I created.

Please look at it and see if it matches the intended use.

Some comments:

I found the Event form requirements to not match the use case well - 
this didn't have the required "registration opens", really, and (the 
unrequired) hotel rooms don't make sense. Is this kind of thing 
something you wouldn't see capturing as an "event"?

Also, there's a layout thing I don't understand yet. The Headings in the 
BODY section look nice and Heading like in the admin form, but in the 
live view, they're the same size or smaller than paragraph text. I also 
don't seem to be able to manage the font sizes in the paragraph text, 
which wouldn't bother me, but they appear to be changing in the flow.

I cut-paste from an html page to create this so there may be some tag cruft?
Is there a way to see/change that?

RjS

---

From: Ged Barker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:15:21 +0100

Hi Robert,

I'm glad you're finding it intuitive.

I've had a look at the page and restructured it a bit. I think most of your
concerns are covered - but I found some new ones.

https://ietf-staging.torchboxapps.com/how-we-work/meetings/codesprint-ietf-98-new/

The Heading style is misleading, and we should remove it. It's better to
use the paragraph blocks and apply a heading style through the WYSIWG
editor. The admin style will not always match the front end style, due to
front end CSS - but it should work.

I've spotted that the bullet style isn't applying. So in this case it isn't
working consistently. We'll fix.

Unless absolutely necessary, we don't advise changing font styles or sizes.
We set the templates up to deliver the styles in the design. The idea is
that untagged text is put into the editor, and wagtail applies the styles
consistently; without editors having to fiddle with formatting.

This is intended to ensure a) editors have less work and b) individual
editors do not style pages idiosyncratically and make the site look
inconsistent.

We did not imagine this template being used for smaller events, it's
designed for the main events. We'd suggest a CodeSprint be added as a
standard page and then linked from the main event within the at "At a
glance" panel. This can be used to add any and all kinds of supplementary
information.

I've added an example "At a glance panel" but it should be at the top of
the page beneath the image, it isn't. That needs to be moved back. We'll
fix.

Let me know if I can help further.

Best,
Ged

On 7 October 2015 at 23:25, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Seemed intuitive enough. I originally hung it off the main page (which is
> what naturally happened), then worked out in reverse where the IETF94 event
> page was sitting and moved it there (which seemed to kick in the gears that
> caused other pages to take content from the one I created.
>
> I found the Event form requirements to not match the use case well - this
> didn't have the required "registration opens", really, and (the unrequired)
> hotel rooms don't make sense. Is this kind of thing something you wouldn't
> see capturing as an "event"?
>
> BODY section look nice and Heading like in the admin form, but in the live
> view, they're the same size or smaller than paragraph text. I also don't
> seem to be able to manage the font sizes in the paragraph text, which
> wouldn't bother me, but they appear to be changing in the flow.
>

-- 
Ged Barker
*Senior Project Manager*

www.torchbox.com
[email-masked]
+44 (0) 1608 811870